*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leak - any ideas from these photos?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Oil leak - any ideas from these photos?

Postby Jp71 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:45 am

So the local Ford dealer wants $100 per “rubber boot” that the injector sits in as it sits on the rocker cover. Do these need replacing and if so will aftermarket do the trick? Not sure I fancy spending $400 on these if I don’t have too. Thanks again
2007 2.4t dci

140T350
Jp71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 pm

Jp71 wrote:So the local Ford dealer wants $100 per “rubber boot” that the injector sits in as it sits on the rocker cover. Do these need replacing and if so will aftermarket do the trick? Not sure I fancy spending $400 on these if I don’t have too. Thanks again

I used pattern parts on mine, except the little green O-rings which were genuine Ford, 4 years ago..... 60k km later and still going strong.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jp71 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:07 pm

I have a few more questions if I may?

(1) Should there be an O-ring where this groove is in the photo below? I can’t find one of the one exploded parts diagrams online (if anyone has a link that’d be ace).
(2) I understand I need to use oil when fitting the leak off o-rings - is that correct?
(3) I will add a wee bit of grease to hold the copper washer in place when it refit, i have read about using ceramic grease (not sure what is as we do not have it in NZ except in bike shops) or Vaseline - any advice on this?
(4) Should i be greasing anywhere else to aid with future maintenance (e.g. never cease on the clamp bolts, or grease between the body of the injector and engine)

As always, thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 2.4t dci

140T350
Jp71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:23 pm

Jp71 wrote:I have a few more questions if I may?

(1) Should there be an O-ring where this groove is in the photo below? I can’t find one of the one exploded parts diagrams online (if anyone has a link that’d be ace).
(2) I understand I need to use oil when fitting the leak off o-rings - is that correct?
(3) I will add a wee bit of grease to hold the copper washer in place when it refit, i have read about using ceramic grease (not sure what is as we do not have it in NZ except in bike shops) or Vaseline - any advice on this?
(4) Should i be greasing anywhere else to aid with future maintenance (e.g. never cease on the clamp bolts, or grease between the body of the injector and engine)

As always, thanks

1: No, no O-rings on the body of the injectors.
http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... EzMw%3D%3D

2: Just some general purpose grease or vaseline will do, it's mainly just to stop it catching and damaging the O-ring on the leak-back hose when refitting, this will allow air in and cause hard starting when left for a while.
3: Just a small amount of general purpose grease will do to hold it in place on the injector during assembly, it will quickly melt away after the engine starts.
4: Anti-seize on the bolt threads and under the heads where they contact the little bowl shape in the clamp isn't a bad idea. Remember, they're 6nm + 180 dregrees.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jp71 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:57 am

So I’ve finally changed the seals, took a while as we’ve been in lockdown and I was waiting for parts. The video below is after it has been idling for half an hour or so and temp was up to middle on gauge. I’ll take it for a spin tomorrow but looks ok? Still a bit of smoke/blow by but from what I understand this is normal ??

https://youtube.com/shorts/ujkU1PBjvBU?feature=share
2007 2.4t dci

140T350
Jp71
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits