*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Intermittent gear selection problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Intermittent gear selection problem

Postby Tcollings » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:59 am

Hi guys,

Vans been running fine for ages but just had some problems start with the clutch. It will go into gear fine when the engine is off, but with it running I have to press the clutch a couple of times to be able to put it in gear. It is a similar story when taking it out of gear. Sometimes it comes out first time and other times it needs to be pressed a few times before the clutch engages and I can take it out of gear. I then have to press it a few times to put it into a new gear. I’ve checked for leaking fluid and can’t see any. And the pedal hasn’t changed in firmness, it still feel firm and not spongy.

Anyone have ideas as to what it could be? It’s a Mk6 2001 lwb rwd 2.4l.

Thanks for your help,

Tom
2001 mk6 LWB Duratorq 2.4L RWD
Tcollings
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Intermittent gear selection problem

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:13 pm

Dual mass flywheel not happy..?? Pressure/friction plate may be on it's last legs.....how many miles on the beast..??

Worn clutch fork pivot or slave pushrod not well..??

When was the clutch last replaced.??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tcollings » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:06 am

Got the clutch off and it seems the release bearing is wearing into the clutch springs. Also the pressure plate is worn as well. The same thing happened on my brother van (same engine), with the release bearing. Will change all the worn parts.
2001 mk6 LWB Duratorq 2.4L RWD
Tcollings
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ray1965 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:03 pm

had similar problems with my mk6, but it was the clutch master cylinder, seemed to go thru one every 3-4 months, no external leaks, just internal, the fluid bypassing the seal, didnt matter wether i bought pattern or genuine, no different
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits