*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2008 2.4 Engine overhaul

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: 2008 2.4 Engine overhaul

Postby kviete » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:21 am

Just tried to take it off... Thats a terrible terrible job, gonna stick with your advice and flush with a house..
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:42 am

kviete wrote:Just tried to take it off... Thats a terrible terrible job, gonna stick with your advice and flush with a house..

Yep..it's basically a dash out job to remove the heater matrix. A good flush in both directions should see you sorted.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby kviete » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:18 am

Yep, did that.
So basically got pretty much all ready for tomorrow and ow just looking into install methods.
Manual says it can go as engine/gearbox assembly, but need some special ford tool(spacers). Or other pull gearbox apart. Any advice on that?
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 pm

kviete wrote:Yep, did that.
So basically got pretty much all ready for tomorrow and ow just looking into install methods.
Manual says it can go as engine/gearbox assembly, but need some special ford tool(spacers). Or other pull gearbox apart. Any advice on that?

Can be done either way depending on the tooling and room/access you have. Most just leave the gearbox in situ and pull the engine out through the front.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:09 pm

knobby1 wrote:
kviete wrote:Yep, did that.

Can be done either way depending on the tooling and room/access you have. Most just leave the gearbox in situ and pull the engine out through the front.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby kviete » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:33 pm

Ao if all front is off i should be able to pull it without lowering steering rack?

Also emergency question. In manual they emphasize on marking prop shaft. I dont have marks, guys who dismantle it may skipped it. Is it a way to recenter from scratch?
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:53 pm

kviete wrote:Ao if all front is off i should be able to pull it without lowering steering rack?

Also emergency question. In manual they emphasize on marking prop shaft. I dont have marks, guys who dismantle it may skipped it. Is it a way to recenter from scratch?

Some lower the whole subframe an inch or two, you'll need to disconnect the steering uni joint too.

Prop shaft is balanced, needs to go back in the same spot or it's possible for it to vibrate.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:38 am

knobby1 wrote:
kviete wrote:Ao if all front is off i should be able to pull it without lowering steering rack?

Some lower the whole subframe an inch or two, you'll need to disconnect the steering uni joint too.

Prop shaft is balanced, needs to go back in the same spot or it's possible for it to vibrate.

Lord Knobrot

the prop can go back anyway

ive never had problems when took them off for clutch changes and ive never marked them
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby kviete » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:56 pm

Cheers guys, engine is in, dressing today.
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kviete » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:37 am

Can smbd help with locations of those??
One mass from frame to? One from jump start box in the front to?
And this sensor kind of thing :|
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kviete » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:50 am

Ups, forgot pics.

Well that was a long weekend. So after some big big effort engine got in as assembly (would prob never do it again and would just go gearbox first, i think we just got competitive against ourslelves :D ) and after all that effort wasted mor than half day today.
Lost crankshaft position sensor retaining clip, searched for soo loong, ended up removing engine, it was in a gearbox.. anyway, it is what it is, didnt come to start just yet. Still looking where to position this sensor, how to sort those +/- cables and still need to route vacuum line, couldnt find a hose coming to vacuum pump just yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kviete » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:15 am

So carrying on, got it all together amd tried to crank it yeaterday. Did as instructed by ford mechanics, slightly released each injector line to see fuel come out, tighten, move to a next one. Did it over all four, first had some bubly flow, later on turned into nice constant flow. After all four, tried to crank it for a bit, didnt start.

Thought perhaps did not bleed it enough, that little valve on fuel filter was half empty so tried to bleed again, but noticed no fuel would come up. And then engine went into malfunction mode.

First tought maybe fuel do not come from a tank, but after reading threads feel like it just lost pressure while me opening each line :|

No a problem electricians and mechanics are too pre christmas busy, any chance to remove that fault so i can do some more trouble shooting. Thinking of getting a priming pump this timme..
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kviete » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:37 am

So its turning into my lonely diary now, but just to say after all this it started, runs well even still need to figure out a few bits :wink:

Though could somebody make an actual picture how does vacuum line sits on top of everything? :?:
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kviete » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:46 am

Good day,

An other day I was talking to my friend about this mission and just thought to revisit this thread.

It's been quite a project with all the worries in the world getting an engine from alibaba, some factory in China and many people looking a bit sideways about that. But hey, at the end of the day, it all went pretty well, engine was running super fine, I did 30k on it myself then sold it a year ago and from what I know the guy is still pretty happy with it up to this date haha.

Anyway, I am a new transit right now, this time an intention was only work on campervan conversion part, which turned into few side projects, bit more mechanical but somehow still exciting :)
kviete
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits