*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 7 transit engine locked up

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk 7 transit engine locked up

Postby Onlyonegazza » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Hello there I’m after some help, Mk 7 transit just driving along and the indicators start acting funny, few miles further on van just coasts to a stop and wouldn’t start ( just like the battery fiat ) borrowed a starter pack and it started ran fir about a min then stopped, not hot at all.
Towed it home put on a new alternator and it started ran for 30 seconds then stopped, not hot at all, oil black and same level as before, water bit orange and just won’t turn over.
Went to the starter next, seems ok but got a new one coming tomorrow but the engine just won’t move and seems like it’s hydraulic locked, won’t turn on the pulley, I put a strap to it and pulled it gently forward in gear and the wheel slid !
My question, can a head gasket go and cause a lock up if the engine or what else can it be cos the van was runnning perfectly fine before ?
Onlyonegazza

Re: Mk 7 transit engine locked up

Postby tranmx2 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:36 pm

May need to be in 3rd to pull it in gear.
It started a couple of times shortly after it stopped.
Can take time for coolant to fill a combustion space - have enough in the space to prevent the engine from moving. Needs to fill on the Induction/compression stroke.

Likely it would have gone lumpy - unresponsive prior to stopping.

Coasted to a stop after the indicators were noted to be acting up - likely electrical /electronic problem.

Keys/contact barrel seems to be popular for gremlins.

What have you found so far?
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Mk 7 transit engine locked up

Postby knobby1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:30 am

Never pull, bump or tow start a transit, they have a nasty habit of jumping cam chain teeth, especially the RWD's where there is only a few teeth in contact with the chain on the inlet cam sprocket. Lack of oil pressure to the tensioner is the reason.

Can you manually turn the crank at least two revolutions.??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits