*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 Rattling engine under acceleration

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK6 Rattling engine under acceleration

Postby Louey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am

Driving home yesterday, I pulled off from a junction and the engine was rattling and struggling to accelerate - MK6 2003 2.4 tddi
It had a new pump fitted in April, engine was a refurb/rebuild two years ago - not done a huge amount of miles.

Since the new engine I had replaced the fuel timing solenoid - the fuel pump came witha new one too. Always had issues climbing hills since replacement engine and sometimes the van would struggle to get to 55mph with the slightest incline. I would sometimes pull over, restart the engine and it would be absolutely golden.

Fault codes are P1666, p1564, p0149 - Don't know if I can do anymore than just find fault codes with Forscan.

Not fully sure where to start - can't get to the garage for a few days either. P1666 confuses me.
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: MK6 Rattling engine under acceleration

Postby Louey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 am

Just gone out to start engine and it rattled for a few seconds, pressed accelerater to rev engine and then it has cut out :(
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Louey » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:49 pm

How easy is it to check the timing chain? Is it a case of taking off the front of the van (rad, grill etc) or is there an inspection hole somewhere?
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Louey wrote:Driving home yesterday, I pulled off from a junction and the engine was rattling and struggling to accelerate - MK6 2003 2.4 tddi
It had a new pump fitted in April, engine was a refurb/rebuild two years ago - not done a huge amount of miles.

Since the new engine I had replaced the fuel timing solenoid - the fuel pump came witha new one too. Always had issues climbing hills since replacement engine and sometimes the van would struggle to get to 55mph with the slightest incline. I would sometimes pull over, restart the engine and it would be absolutely golden.

Fault codes are P1666, p1564, p0149 - Don't know if I can do anymore than just find fault codes with Forscan.

Not fully sure where to start - can't get to the garage for a few days either. P1666 confuses me.

p1666 = Fuel injection pump - cranckshaft position sensor (CKP) synchronisation
p1564 = fuel injection pump - reduced fuel mode request
p0149 = Fuel Timing Error

I'd say your pump EDC and timing solenoid are not well. Would indeed pay to check the cam timing....would also pay to check the crank sensor.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Louey » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks

I must have deleted the codes - oops. The breakdown guy came out this morning (only way to get it to the garage) and there weren't t any fault codes for the recovery driver to read. Is this significant or will the codes return.

His diagnosis was possibly the fuel filter or filter housing - because he didn't get any codes. Just waiting for the big truck to get it to the garage (less than half a mile way :roll: )
I'm going with chain or fuel pump/pump wiring.
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:21 am

Mk6 codes are notoriously difficult to read, it could be that his reader didn't pick up on them :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm

Louey wrote:Thanks

I must have deleted the codes - oops. The breakdown guy came out this morning (only way to get it to the garage) and there weren't t any fault codes for the recovery driver to read. Is this significant or will the codes return.

His diagnosis was possibly the fuel filter or filter housing - because he didn't get any codes. Just waiting for the big truck to get it to the garage (less than half a mile way :roll: )

Do you know what code reader was used..?? Mk6 machines aren't OBD-II compliant so most of the newer readers won't work on them.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Louey » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:27 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Louey wrote:Thanks

Do you know what code reader was used..?? Mk6 machines aren't OBD-II compliant so most of the newer readers won't work on them.

Lord Knobrot

Not sure what reader the guy had but he really didn't try much, I think he could tell I was wanting to go to a garage. I was using my laptop. Garage rang and the three codes came back up - he is currently checking the timing chain.........
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits