*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

head unit

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

head unit

Postby ray1965 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:41 am

well ive gone and done what i said i wasnt goin to do lol,

ive bought the factory fit Sony 6cd head unit, intead of buying a cheap aftermarket thing, that leaves me with a few problems lol, but onto those in a bit, there was the 6000MP3 on there as well, but not into this MP3 thing tbh

the first thing i need to know is, apart from the code, is it plug n play, or does it need the van programming with Forscan

i wasnt going to go down that route, but it looked nice and was a factory head unit, but that leaves me with a dilemma, and the reason i was going to go cheap aftermarket, cheap being because without upgrading and adding speakers, i cant hear the dam sound anyway lol, but i was going aftermarket so as i could use it for the reversing camera, without having screens stuck everywhere, so what have others done to have a camera monitor without it looking pikey, does anyone know of a roof consol that would fit the transit, that i could fit a monitor into

one of my drawbacks on both the aftermarket unit and this unit is the loss of the digital clock, aftermarket has it after boot, but the Sony 6cd I dont think has a clock at all, as it would have been in the high end clocks of the dash, so what have others done
i was thinking of fitting the tacho housing, which has 2 din slots and using one to put a clock in, but i cant find a matching LCD clock with green back light that wires into the van, unless anyone here knows of one

any help greatly appreciated
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: head unit

Postby Punto443 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:38 pm

Sony one should have a clock, if you remove one of the airvents, a 4.3" screen fits in perfect, I used this for my sat nav.
And bought a jl Bluetooth aux input for streaming music.

Sony one should be plug and play, but the display will be red as they didn't come with a green display. Unless you open it up and change all the leds but it's a sh***er of a job
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby ray1965 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:16 am

i love that vent conversion, the picture of the sony unit for sale shows a green display
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ray1965 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:53 am

its just arrived, and I just contacted the seller to confirm, and its definitely green, so I'm well chuffed
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby twin--turbo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:28 pm

low end dash displays the clock if an aftermarket stereo is fitted so may do the same with the sony.
twin--turbo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ray1965 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:16 pm

twin--turbo wrote:low end dash displays the clock if an aftermarket stereo is fitted so may do the same with the sony.

thats handy to know, the ford handbook says about setting a clock, but being LED rather than LCD i suspect it dosnt show it when the ignition is off, my mk6 it was in the dash clocks
so hoping from what you say i may be able to make that work with forescan
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Punto443 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Now, that unit was never fitted in the transit, mk2 focus etc, I seem to remember some complications with the aux or bluetooth module iirc?

Could be talking shite though, it was a while ago?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby ray1965 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:04 pm

well itll be going in a transit now lol, i dont have the gubbins there for factory bluetooth anyway, advert does say it will work with the factory aux tho
he lists it as a transit head unit
saying it will fit certain other models, Focus being one of them, but says not on all the years
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits