*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How to test if TDDI injectors are knackered/worn

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

How to test if TDDI injectors are knackered/worn

Postby Louey » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:50 pm

Got my MK6 2.4tddi back from the mechanic - he said injector #2 is faulty/worn. Engine is knocking lots - really noisy, and struggles accelerating.

Is there a way of checking the injector without removing it, or should there be something else I should be looking at too? Is there anything I can view in FORscan on the injectors whilst the engine is running?
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: How to test if TDDI injectors are knackered/worn

Postby haadee » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:23 pm

You can read out correction value of injector of every cylinder.
I was told by a Ford mechanic this value should not exceed 5 (positive or negative)
haadee
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:52 pm

With a tddi been a mechanical system I would be thinking old school you can crack a injector pipe to see which is weak but to test them need removing and put on a injector tester .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:33 pm

This is me preparing myself watching youtube videos so i don't come unstuck and pay ££££££out in the future . the video is slow but there is a lot to learn from it

Take the things out ..and look on it as servicing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guYFnOMlR_k

buy a used set and have them serviced as in the video, keep them safe ready to swap out when there is trouble

can anyone see anything wrong with my logic ?

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby scas » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:57 pm

the tddi injectors rarely fail, with the engine running, loosen the pipe to the injector on that cylinder, see if the noise stops- its probably the timing solenoid on the pump-if i had to guess
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Louey » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:45 pm

scas wrote:the tddi injectors rarely fail, with the engine running, loosen the pipe to the injector on that cylinder, see if the noise stops- its probably the timing solenoid on the pump-if i had to guess

I'll have a go at loosening the pipes tomorrow, and see if I can work out how to get Forscan to show me the correction values. I'm not currently fit enough to crawl under the van to swap out the Solenoid if it is that (recoverying from an operation) :)
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Louey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:06 pm

I ran the engine and loosened each pipe on the injectors, one at a time. Each time I think I had a difference in engine revs. Went for a drive and it still sounds as rough. Took a video to see if this helps getting a diagnosis.
https://youtu.be/8CKwnT9Ie3s

Now, would swapping out the injectors solve the problem? The mechanic reckons it would , but also said putting a new chain on would. The codes still point to the pump and solenoid, which were brand new in April.
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:55 pm

Louey wrote:I ran the engine and loosened each pipe on the injectors, one at a time. Each time I think I had a difference in engine revs. Went for a drive and it still sounds as rough. Took a video to see if this helps getting a diagnosis.

Now, would swapping out the injectors solve the problem? The mechanic reckons it would , but also said putting a new chain on would. The codes still point to the pump and solenoid, which were brand new in April.

What actual codes are you getting..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Louey » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:34 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Louey wrote:I ran the engine and loosened each pipe on the injectors, one at a time. Each time I think I had a difference in engine revs. Went for a drive and it still sounds as rough. Took a video to see if this helps getting a diagnosis.

Lord Knobrot

P1049 and P1564. I cleared them before driving today but didn't check to see if they were there after as the laptop was flat
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby scas » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:12 pm

Take injectors out and use a syringe squirting thru the top to see if the spray pattern is fine. The injectors themselves can be dismantled in under a minute to see if anythings wrong. And maybe find a mechanic who knows what they're doing
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:46 am

Louey wrote: The codes still point to the pump and solenoid, which were brand new in April.

Lord Knobrot[/quote]
P1049 and P1564. I cleared them before driving today but didn't check to see if they were there after as the laptop was flat[/quote]

Still points to a faulty timing solenoid. Or possibly check the wiring to the solenoid.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Louey » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:19 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Louey wrote: The codes still point to the pump and solenoid, which were brand new in April.

Lord Knobrot

P1049 and P1564. I cleared them before driving today but didn't check to see if they were there after as the laptop was flat[/quote]

Still points to a faulty timing solenoid. Or possibly check the wiring to the solenoid.

Lord Knobrot[/quote]
Cheers
I'll dig out the receipt for Fuel Pump - it came with a new solenoid in April. If Eurocarparts have the solenoid separate then a slightly easier job. I wonder if I can claim some labour charges as well as get a replacement.

I'll also try and see if I can get to the wiring to check that first - IIRC the manifold has to come off to see the wires???
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Louey » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:38 pm

Fuel pump replaced and stil getting same issue. Lots of diesel knock, poor acceleration.
Same two engine codes
P0149 and P1564
Stumped
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richardstubbs » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:54 pm

Are you sure you're timing it right? This sounds like an over-advanced pump to me - it's very easy to get the timing pin down the side of the cast boss with the hole in it, rather than in the hole. Took me a couple of goes on the FWD because you can't really see the hole. It's much easier with the full timing cover off. Also, are you sure you've got the engine in the right place to start with? That's a bit awkward too, and again much easier with the cover off because you can get the crank in nearly the right place first.

P0149 means that the timing is out. Can be the solenoid, but can just be that the timing is out. There is an engine position sensor in the pump, and if disagrees too much with the crankshaft sensor it'll throw this code.
P1564 means that the fuel pump has reduced power to avoid engine damage. Neither are anything to do with the injectors at all.
2005 Mk6 85T280 Camper
richardstubbs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Louey » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:18 pm

richardstubbs wrote:Are you sure you're timing it right? This sounds like an over-advanced pump to me - it's very easy to get the timing pin down the side of the cast boss with the hole in it, rather than in the hole. Took me a couple of goes on the FWD because you can't really see the hole. It's much easier with the full timing cover off. Also, are you sure you've got the engine in the right place to start with? That's a bit awkward too, and again much easier with the cover off because you can get the crank in nearly the right place first.

P0149 means that the timing is out. Can be the solenoid, but can just be that the timing is out. There is an engine position sensor in the pump, and if disagrees too much with the crankshaft sensor it'll throw this code.
P1564 means that the fuel pump has reduced power to avoid engine damage. Neither are anything to do with the injectors at all.

Cheers, I'll pass these notes onto the mechanic - hopefully he is back on the job today affter the break. :roll:
Louey
Louey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits