*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New member with transit problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

New member with transit problem

Postby Simpulsar » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:26 pm

Hi everyone, I've bought a 54 plate transit tipper and it's just started playing up.

It's been totally fine but It hasn't been used for a while, everytime I start it up it starts and ticks over great, as soon as it gets warm it starts to misfire and smoke and its undrivable.

I've changed egr
Changed injectors
New injector pump

And it's still the same, it's like a white/grey smoke. It's not losing any coolant or overheating

Anyone got any ideas to help me out
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: New member with transit problem

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:00 am

Simpulsar wrote:Hi everyone, I've bought a 54 plate transit tipper and it's just started playing up.

It's been totally fine but It hasn't been used for a while, everytime I start it up it starts and ticks over great, as soon as it gets warm it starts to misfire and smoke and its undrivable.

I've changed egr
Changed injectors
New injector pump

And it's still the same, it's like a white/grey smoke. It's not losing any coolant or overheating

Anyone got any ideas to help me out

A bit more info would help us help you...assuming it's a 2.4 since it's a tipper....but is it TDDi or TDCi..?? Which PS engine..75, 90, 115, 120, 125 or 135..??

Have you had the codes read.?? If so, what were the fault codes stored..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Simpulsar » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:27 am

Sorry. It's a 2.4 tddi and a 90

No havent had the codes read. My machine wont communicate with it for some reason

Also dont have any lights on the dash, should it still pick up something
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Simpulsar » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:29 am

Hear is a video of what it's doing.

https://youtu.be/H0qV1sxvSMg
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:51 am

Simpulsar wrote:Sorry. It's a 2.4 tddi and a 90

No havent had the codes read. My machine wont communicate with it for some reason

Also dont have any lights on the dash, should it still pick up something

Mk6 Transits are not OBD-II compliant so most of the newer OBD-II readers won't work.

You need to get Forscan and a modified ELM-327 for it to read the codes on a Mk6. They don't need to have a light on to have fault codes stored.

Please don't "free rev" your engine to over 4000rpm when not under load...it's not real good for them.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Simpulsar » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:17 pm

OK thanks, ordered one should be hear Wednesday. Will update with codes

Thanks
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Simpulsar » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 pm

Right guys, I've had some time on the transit today and it's bad news unless I'm thinking wrong

I checked the oil today and it seemed to be overfilled, cracked the sump plug to running water so there is water getting in my sump

I'd say it's knackered and new engine job

Anyone want to shed some light on the situation, don't want to spend money on headgasket if I'm gonna get the same probelm if block is cracked ect

Also another problem I'm having is I have no fuel gauge, temp gauge, rev counter,speedo, clock or millage showing/working. I do have power there as I have ignition,oil,abs lights working
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:23 pm

Simpulsar wrote:Right guys, I've had some time on the transit today and it's bad news unless I'm thinking wrong

I checked the oil today and it seemed to be overfilled, cracked the sump plug to running water so there is water getting in my sump

I'd say it's knackered and new engine job

Anyone want to shed some light on the situation, don't want to spend money on headgasket if I'm gonna get the same probelm if block is cracked ect

Also another problem I'm having is I have no fuel gauge, temp gauge, rev counter,speedo, clock or millage showing/working. I do have power there as I have ignition,oil,abs lights working

Water/coolant in the oil can often be one of the freeze plugs in the head has popped. Also worth looking at the oil cooler...but they're more likely to cause oil in the coolant. Transits rarely blow head gaskets. Pop the rocker cover off and have a look for popped freeze plugs.

With the gauges, check the large connector at the back of the clocks, they often cause similar symptoms. Reflowing the solder on the PCB often help as they can have dry joints.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Simpulsar » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:24 pm

Well it's good news for thel clocks, stopped them out and sprayed them with wd40 electrical contact cleaner and they are all working.

Can't get the van running after changing the fuel filter to see if I have solved the smoking

Will update when I get abit further
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:09 am

Simpulsar wrote:Well it's good news for thel clocks, stopped them out and sprayed them with wd40 electrical contact cleaner and they are all working.

Can't get the van running after changing the fuel filter to see if I have solved the smoking

Will update when I get abit further

Did you fill the filter with fresh fuel before fitting it..?? If not you've filled the fuel system with air, not good on a TDDi. Sometimes filling the filter with fuel and giving it a sniff of easy start and/or cracking the injectors will help get the air out and have her up and running again.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Simpulsar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:31 pm

Yes I filled the filter, it started initially but then cut out and won't restart. I haven't had time to fo anything with it a min but I'm sure I'll get it up and running again. Thanks for all your help
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Simpulsar » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:44 am

Update**

Got it running and it was fine, used it yesterday and it was fine

Today, back to smoking and won't rev

P**sing me off now
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Simpulsar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:40 pm

Update *****

Van is now sorted, changed fuel pump and had it recoded and it's all been fine for the last few days
Simpulsar
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:58 pm

Simpulsar wrote:Update *****

Van is now sorted, changed fuel pump and had it recoded and it's all been fine for the last few days

A simple code read first up would have saved all the faffing about.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits