*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Central locking

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 Central locking

Postby nathaniela44 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:55 pm

Hi everyone,

The central locking in my van has been fine ever since i bought it ( about a year ago )

I came out to do some work on it today and found the van was unlocked. I could have sworn i locked it yesterday but assumed i had somehow forgotten and carried on with my day without giving it any thought.

But just now when trying to lock up, i pressed the lock button on the fob as usual and none of the doors even tried to lock. I just get a beep from the horn & a flash of the indicators as if a door was open still. Checked all doors & they are definitely closed, cleaned the contacts on the sliding door and still nada.

If i try the key in the drivers door, i can lock that but if i try and turn it again to lock the other doors i just get a beep and a flash of the lights. I can hear the door locks don't even try to engage which is weird.

Normally if it senses a door is open it will still try and lock the others and beep the horn, but all of a sudden it won't lock any of the doors at all...

Any help please anyone?

Thank you
nathaniela44

Re: Mk7 Central locking

Postby nathaniela44 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:18 pm

Anyone??

I've found the central locking fuse F78 has blown, I replaced it with another and it blew straight away as well.

The back of the van is converted into a camper, im worried somehow a loom has got damaged in the back where it is now inaccassable.

Is there a way to disconnect the loom going to the rear doors & the one to the sliding door at the cab?

I was thinking if I try disconnecting each one at a time and then trying to lock the van it would tell me which loom has been damaged? Any idea if that would work..?

I'm thinking if anything it might be the long loom going to the rear doors, and can anyone tell me where it actually is? - not having a lot of luck with googling it.
I seem to remember there was a higher loom and a lower one in the back on the drivers side of the van, in the chassis of the van over the top of the side window, and then one below the side window too.

If i'm going to have to rip the entire conversion out to fix this it will take several weeks to take out & rebuild so I'd like to try and locate the issue before having to think about doing that...

Pulling my hair out at this after spending so long converting the damn thing only to be faced with ripping it all out now when it's basically finished.
nathaniela44

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:23 pm

nathaniela44 wrote:Anyone??

I've found the central locking fuse F78 has blown, I replaced it with another and it blew straight away as well.

The back of the van is converted into a camper, im worried somehow a loom has got damaged in the back where it is now inaccassable.

Is there a way to disconnect the loom going to the rear doors & the one to the sliding door at the cab?

I was thinking if I try disconnecting each one at a time and then trying to lock the van it would tell me which loom has been damaged? Any idea if that would work..?

I'm thinking if anything it might be the long loom going to the rear doors, and can anyone tell me where it actually is? - not having a lot of luck with googling it.
I seem to remember there was a higher loom and a lower one in the back on the drivers side of the van, in the chassis of the van over the top of the side window, and then one below the side window too.

If i'm going to have to rip the entire conversion out to fix this it will take several weeks to take out & rebuild so I'd like to try and locate the issue before having to think about doing that...

Pulling my hair out at this after spending so long converting the damn thing only to be faced with ripping it all out now when it's basically finished.

Does this help..?? The blue areas are the "No screw" areas as the various looms run behind them.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 052115.png

A lot of wiring issues in campers can be put down to looms being screwed into whilst putting internal panels and fixings in etc...

Lord Knobrot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby nathaniela44 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:03 pm

knobby1 wrote:
nathaniela44 wrote:Anyone??

Does this help..?? The blue areas are the "No screw" areas as the various looms run behind them.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 052115.png

A lot of wiring issues in campers can be put down to looms being screwed into whilst putting internal panels and fixings in etc...

Lord Knobrot

Yes, thank you!!! From my understanding the loom should run from behind the rear tail light along over the wheel arch, then up the pillar in the centre and along to the cab from there. Unfortuantly i'm starting to think that is what has happened as i can't work out what else it would be.

I was debating if i could make a new loom and run it in a more accessable location, then i could just connect it at both ends and forget about the broken loom in the wall. Not sure how likely that would be to work though, or how practical it would really be.
nathaniela44

Postby nathaniela44 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:38 pm

Update if anyone is interested, I bit the bullet and pulled half the conversion out this morning. A screw had gone in right on the piss above the side window and as suggested had gone through the loom. After some cutting, soldering & fixing up the locking is all working again & not blowing any fuses!!

Now to rebuild it all!
nathaniela44

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:23 pm

nathaniela44 wrote:Update if anyone is interested, I bit the bullet and pulled half the conversion out this morning. A screw had gone in right on the piss above the side window and as suggested had gone through the loom. After some cutting, soldering & fixing up the locking is all working again & not blowing any fuses!!

Now to rebuild it all!

Result..!! :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits