*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Major Engine Malfunction

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Major Engine Malfunction

Postby Shkretoff » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:23 pm

Hi Guys, happy to be a part of this forum, but not happy about posting the following :)

Ford Transit, 2.2 TDCi, 110hp, 2008.

I got this van not long ago, so i have driven it for about 1000km. No engine problems at all since i got it, changed oil, filters, etc. Today as i was driving on the highway, 110km/h I noticed a little bit of dark smoke from the exhaust, but not so much to be concerned. As i am seeing this smoke (while accelerating), big loss of power, and engine cuts off afer 30 seconds or so, i was just going to complete stop when it cut off. I tried to start it again, but i noticed that it cranks very ''hard'', like bad battery, so i didnt tried more cranking. Now the Transit is in a garage where i work and i dont know where to start troubleshooting tomorrow.

Engine oil level and condition is ok. Antifreeze is ok. Checked for fault codes with ForScan, no fault codes. Can you please help. I am thinking of timing chain breakdown, but i didnt heard strange noises when the engine stopped, it was just shaking/trembling, I think, but i am not 100% sure, because it happened on the highway while overtaking a lorry and i was concentrating on stopping safely. But i am sure about the smoke, because i didnt see smoke from the back before, it was dark for sure. No lights on dashboard.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Shkretoff

Re: Major Engine Malfunction

Postby TheCake » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:47 pm

could have been not enough fresh air through system, egr stuck open? but high speeds might not matter too much for that, or perhaps air in fuel is the fuel filter on tight enough?, wouldn't have thought it would be a flat battery if no codes were thrown up what does forscan read on the battery voltage? possibly a bad connection somewhere so no fuel delivery to engine but i'd expect that to come up with a code as well.
hope that might be of some help with diagnosing.
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Apprentice » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:58 pm

You could check the air pipes between the turbo and intake manifold. Black smoke means you have lot of unburned fuel and the power loss might be caused by broken pipe and loss ofthe turbo pressure.
Apprentice

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:28 am

Apprentice wrote:You could check the air pipes between the turbo and intake manifold. Black smoke means you have lot of unburned fuel and the power loss might be caused by broken pipe and loss ofthe turbo pressure.

Broken pipes/boost hoses won't cause the engine to cut out though, the engine will actually run without an inlet manifold fitted....I suspect something more sinister....more likely a mechanical failure, timing chain or even a thrown rod/piston etc...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Apprentice » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 am

knobby1 wrote:I suspect something more sinister....more likely a mechanical failure, timing chain or even a thrown rod/piston etc...

Lord Knobrot

Might be , but mostly any mechanical damage will cause the metallic noise. even if you do not heard it when the engine shuts down would it be well heard when you trying to start the engine again.
I wouldnt so pessimistic at the moment . As it happened at the overtaking was "pedal to the metal" and the turbo pressure were high and the pipe can jump away quite easily (he's car came just in from the service and maybe someone just "adjusted" some pipe and forget the tight enough - things happen )
The hard start/rotating can cause unburned fuel in the cylinder aswell. ( the gear were on, ignition were on, Pedal were to the metal, just lost of the air pressure not cause the fuel pump shutdown. ECU try map still some mixture buy thinking just MAP error and reads the pedal sensor , cam and crank sensor. But as we do not have turbo pressure / fresh air almost at all will we collecting unburnt fuel in to the cylinder. (if there chain broken than should be engine light active - no cam readings , I cant imagine chain jump over, just do not belive. )
If you have tools /experience try remove glow plugs and and rotate engine after this with starter. If you do not heard any wierd noise after that and engine will rotates really well than i wouldnt believe mechanical failure. Ofcorse , if you have special tool you could make at same way cylinder pressure test . It will gives a best overview of the main condition. It there broken chain or broken piston , or what else , than you do not get the proper cylinder pressure.
Lets hope the best !
Apprentice

Postby Shkretoff » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 am

Hi,

Thank you all for the help. I have tools and skills, normally i do all repairs to my cars, but unfortunatelly these days it is -10 to -15 oC during the day here and i do not have small heated room to work on the van. I do the repairs in a big metal building and it is too cold for this at the moment.

So i left it at a repair shop. It turned out that two injectors wanted to leave the engine - they teared their bolts and went about 20mm upwards. Both injectors were faulty, the shop sent all 4 for testing. So overall i changed two injectors with new ones, and yesterday the van was working fine.

They told me that soon the other two may be problematic also, because the problem most probably is caused by bad diesel fuel. I have the old injectors, so i will send them to be repaired.
Shkretoff

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits