*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 tddi inlet manifold not coming off

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.4 tddi inlet manifold not coming off

Postby WheelyBigBox » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:38 pm

Hi

I've got the big lump of metal out (EGR, throttle body, maf sensor? who knows..) and it's full of black sludge. I'm part way through attacking it with break cleaner but i've run out of gloves.

Anyway, i'm trying to get the plastic inlet filter off. I've found all the bolts and undone them all until i can feel the thread `clicking` back down onto the thread in the hole. Managed to pull most of them out a bit more so they're clear too. I've even got the stubborn cretin right at the back of the manifold using my pivoting joint and long bars on the socket so that's loose too.

But the manifolt still won't come off. It's definitely loose but it's clining onto something and i can't work out what (or i should really say the engine bay is so bloody cramped i just can't see in there properly). Any tips please? - seen a video on youtube but his manifold despite being same engine, is different to mine.

Thanks guys,

WBB
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: 2.4 tddi inlet manifold not coming off

Postby tranmx2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:15 pm

2012 2.2 RWD Mk7. Just got the manifold off. Is video of 2013 removed manifold. I had to take off a lot more bits than in the video.
Seems they are not all the same.
Found the 9 manifold bolts went back in the hole and with a bit of vibs screwed back in. Had to unscrew them several times. Cut some plastic tube bits to hold them up.
Lots in the way.
As the EGR is not in use I have cut off its snozel to make it easier to reinstall the manifold. On the mk7 the egr snozel goes into the inlet pipe.
I found it easier to do at night with torches/lamps - its black in there during the day.

Look before you leap. Walk away. Take your time. Think and feel it out. Push and pull could end up well stuck.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:56 pm

tranmx2 wrote:2012 2.2 RWD Mk7. Just got the manifold off. Is video of 2013 removed manifold. I had to take off a lot more bits than in the video.
Seems they are not all the same.
Found the 9 manifold bolts went back in the hole and with a bit of vibs screwed back in. Had to unscrew them several times. Cut some plastic tube bits to hold them up.
Lots in the way.
As the EGR is not in use I have cut off its snozel to make it easier to reinstall the manifold. On the mk7 the egr snozel goes into the inlet pipe.
I found it easier to do at night with torches/lamps - its black in there during the day.

Look before you leap. Walk away. Take your time. Think and feel it out. Push and pull could end up well stuck.

Euro-5 2.2 Mk7 is totally different to a Mk6 TDDi. Different EGR and in a different spot etc...

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NCsyNzI%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:23 pm

tranmx2 wrote:Look before you leap. Walk away. Take your time. Think and feel it out. Push and pull could end up well stuck.

Thats why i walked away and came here lol.

Thanks for that link, i had a hunch there might be one but couldn't find that last bolt pictured here (red arrow):

The bolt where the green arrow is was a total pain to get - the bulkhead / firewall was right in the way and it was a real struggle. That last one is going to be nearly impossible to remove and i can't reach up to it from under the van either. Any ideas?

Whatever is holding it in place feels like it's in the middle of the manifold yet all the bolts are free, it doesn't make much sense.

Back to the EGR, it's caked in black sludge. The pipe from the intercooler doesn't look great either. Should i be concerned about this? It had some woes at MOT time emissions wise - another garage passed it but the original claimed it was off the scale at 9. Is this a sign of impending turbo woes?

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 pm

WheelyBigBox wrote:Thanks for that link, i had a hunch there might be one but couldn't find that last bolt pictured here (red arrow):

The bolt where the green arrow is was a total pain to get - the bulkhead / firewall was right in the way and it was a real struggle. That last one is going to be nearly impossible to remove and i can't reach up to it from under the van either. Any ideas?

Whatever is holding it in place feels like it's in the middle of the manifold yet all the bolts are free, it doesn't make much sense.

Back to the EGR, it's caked in black sludge. The pipe from the intercooler doesn't look great either. Should i be concerned about this? It had some woes at MOT time emissions wise - another garage passed it but the original claimed it was off the scale at 9. Is this a sign of impending turbo woes?

Just ensure you've removed "all" the bolts, there's not much else holding them on. Clean as much crud out of the manifold, EGR system and inlet ports as you can, then blank off the EGR and fit a catch can. These poor engines eat their own exhaust through the EGR system..... and combined with the oily turbo and breather fumes, it basically becomes an oily spooge in the whole inlet system.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:57 pm

Any idea how to get the bolt off with the red arrow? - i struggled to get a socket on the one with the green arrow!!! It's really tight in there.

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:38 am

WheelyBigBox wrote:Any idea how to get the bolt off with the red arrow? - i struggled to get a socket on the one with the green arrow!!! It's really tight in there.

Don't have a Mk6 RWD...my Mk7 RWD wasn't that difficult, I have a set of 1/4" drive sockets and uni joints etc...which enabled me to get at them, just perserverence really.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:30 pm

and it's off!!!

Just about managed to get in there with a 10mm flexible ratchet spanner and unto it 2-3 clicks at a time. I'm not looking forward to putting that back!

The manifold was also a square peg in a round hoie. No idea how on earth that's supposed to go in and out easily but eventually i managed to wiggle it out.

So, finally got to the pump. Got the 6 torx screws undone, the big connector at the back was a pain as the wiring loom just didn't want to move anywhere. I know there's several variations of the 2.4 RWD engine bay, i suspect with my luck i acquired the worst to work on lol. Anyway the cover is off, the wires were naturally surrounded by heat shrink and clearly not long enough to give me anything to work with.. eventually managed to cut away some heat shrink and snip the wires at at different lengths. Interestingly, i noticed inside the pump there are two screws which appear to hold the wires in place - it looks like little plugs but i couldn't work out how to remove them even with the board removed it's not clear.

Anyway i've covered the pump over with clingfilm for the time being and the panel is now loose in the back of the van. Thankfully those two small screws for the sensor came out too but i'm not looking forward to putting any of this back together.

Now to order that transistor and flux...

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits