*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Priming rebuilt 2.2 engine

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Priming rebuilt 2.2 engine

Postby frosty125 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:42 pm

Any suggestions about how to prime a remanufactured 2.2 engine?
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Priming rebuilt 2.2 engine

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 16, 2022 5:04 am

frosty125 wrote:Any suggestions about how to prime a remanufactured 2.2 engine?

Euro-4 or Euro-5..?? You don't say which you have..??

Either way Mk7's are self priming, Euro-5's also have a lift pump in the tank.

With the Euro-4's, just fill the fuel filter with fuel and crank it, if everything is working properly, she should start in less than 10 seconds.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frosty125 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:21 am

knobby1 wrote:

With the Euro-4's, just fill the fuel filter with fuel and crank it, if everything is working properly, she should start in less than 10 seconds.

Lord Knobrot

Euro 4 and sorry I meant oil priming.
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:39 am

frosty125 wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Euro 4 and sorry I meant oil priming.

Just pull the injector wires off and wind it over, oil pressure should come up fairly quickly.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frosty125 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:41 am

How long should it take? I've turned it over with the starter a few times about 10s a time and oil lamp is still lit and the live dish data show oil pressure low.
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat May 21, 2022 9:44 pm

frosty125 wrote:How long should it take? I've turned it over with the starter a few times about 10s a time and oil lamp is still lit and the live dish data show oil pressure low.

Is it a Euro-5..?? They're known to have a chocolate oil pump.

Oil pressure at cranking speeds of ~400rpm won't be much.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frosty125 » Sat May 21, 2022 11:37 pm

knobby1 wrote:
frosty125 wrote:How long should it take? I've turned it over with the starter a few times about 10s a time and oil lamp is still lit and the live dish data show oil pressure low.

Is it a Euro-5..?? They're known to have a chocolate oil pump.

Oil pressure at cranking speeds of ~400rpm won't be much.

Lord Knobrot

Euro 4, it's a new oil pump, there is oil getting to the filter, I started to undo it and oil was coming out. It has a new turbo core fitted as well so I might try and disconnect the turbo oil return to see if it's getting oil. Is there a chance that cranking speeds are not enough to turn the oil light off?
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:33 am

frosty125 wrote:Euro 4, it's a new oil pump, there is oil getting to the filter, I started to undo it and oil was coming out. It has a new turbo core fitted as well so I might try and disconnect the turbo oil return to see if it's getting oil. Is there a chance that cranking speeds are not enough to turn the oil light off?

Minimum oil pressure at idle when warm is only ~18psi, so when cold it should easily be more than tat at cranking speeds....and it should put the light out.

Maybe the pressure switch is no good.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frosty125 » Sun May 22, 2022 9:19 am

knobby1 wrote:
frosty125 wrote:Euro 4, it's a new oil pump, there is oil getting to the filter, I started to undo it and oil was coming out. It has a new turbo core fitted as well so I might try and disconnect the turbo oil return to see if it's getting oil. Is there a chance that cranking speeds are not enough to turn the oil light off?

Minimum oil pressure at idle when warm is only ~18psi, so when cold it should easily be more than tat at cranking speeds....and it should put the light out.

Maybe the pressure switch is no good.

Lord Knobrot

I have another sensor so I might try swapping them.
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby frosty125 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:25 am

I removed the oil filter holder and turned it over to see if the pump was shifting oil which it does seem to be. But with the oil filter holder mostly unscrewed oil was not leaking when cranking with the starter which suggests low pressure?
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:58 pm

frosty125 wrote:I removed the oil filter holder and turned it over to see if the pump was shifting oil which it does seem to be. But with the oil filter holder mostly unscrewed oil was not leaking when cranking with the starter which suggests low pressure?

Was the oil pick-up tube fitted to the bottom of the oil pump...in the sump..?? Sillier things have happend.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frosty125 » Sun May 22, 2022 10:38 pm

knobby1 wrote:
frosty125 wrote:I removed the oil filter holder and turned it over to see if the pump was shifting oil which it does seem to be. But with the oil filter holder mostly unscrewed oil was not leaking when cranking with the starter which suggests low pressure?

Was the oil pick-up tube fitted to the bottom of the oil pump...in the sump..?? Sillier things have happend.

Lord Knobrot

I assume it was, the engine was delivered with sump fitted and sealed. I would have thought it could not pump any oil if the pick up wasn't fitted.
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:49 pm

frosty125 wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I assume it was, the engine was delivered with sump fitted and sealed. I would have thought it could not pump any oil if the pick up wasn't fitted.

One would assume so. Possibly an "air lock" in the oil pump maybe..? Unlikely though.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby frosty125 » Tue May 24, 2022 11:40 am

knobby1 wrote:One would assume so. Possibly an "air lock" in the oil pump maybe..? Unlikely though.

Lord Knobrot

Are there any seal leaks that would cause low pressure? Such as front/rear crankshaft seal, turbo feed, fuel pump, vacumn pump, oil filter housing?
frosty125
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue May 24, 2022 7:55 pm

frosty125 wrote:
knobby1 wrote:One would assume so. Possibly an "air lock" in the oil pump maybe..? Unlikely though.

Lord Knobrot

Are there any seal leaks that would cause low pressure? Such as front/rear crankshaft seal, turbo feed, fuel pump, vacumn pump, oil filter housing?

Low oil pressure can only be caused by lack of oil, a poor pump, main or big end bearings with way too much clearance or a major leak somewhere on the pressure supply side. Leaking crank seals will not cause low pressure...and would be obvious if leaking badly enough.

Turbo supply line would be obvious if it were leaking, likewise with the vacuum pump supply. Oil filter/cooler housing is a possibility but you'd probably have huge amounts of oil in the coolant...which would be obvious. Fuel pump doesn't use oil for lubricant.

Just thinking out loud.....Oil pump drive chain not snapped or come off the sprockets..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits