*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advice about new purchase and engine light fault codes.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Advice about new purchase and engine light fault codes.

Postby MattyTramp » Fri May 20, 2022 6:43 pm

I bought at second hand 2013 mk7 Transit a week ago. I drove it home from the dealer, about 1.5 hour drive. No problems at all. Later the same day I took it out to get diesel and the engine management light came on. I notified the dealer straight who said it is probably the MAF sensor, but to get the codes read and we can take it from there.
I took it to a local garage and the fault codes came back as P0104 - Mass or volume air flow circuit and P0691 - Fan 1 control circuit low.

I have done a bit of reading and investigating about the P0691 and I think it most likely the relay causing the fault. The fan fuse looks ok, fan blades spin freely and the engine it’s not overheating either whilst driving or idling.

I am returning the van tomorrow and the dealer will replace the MAF sensor, but says the relay is probably a historic fault.
Is this likely to be the case? I feel that it has probably recently failed i.e. the day I bought the van and it should be replaced at his cost along with the MAF sensor.

Is that a reasonable assumption? And is the dealer liable for all repairs to issues that come to light after purchase?

Any knowledge, advice, wisdom gratefully received.

Cheers all.
MattyTramp

Re: Advice about new purchase and engine light fault codes.

Postby TheCake » Fri May 20, 2022 9:04 pm

any maf codes are normally a blocked or faulty egr valve very easy fix, most generic code readers cant handle ford codes properly and mis read egr faults as maf
id recommend downloading forscan and getting a modified elm-327 reader to better understand any faults that appear and for possible fixes
forscan is free and a reader is about £20 from tunnelrat
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tranmx2 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:50 am

How does a faulty EGR show as a MAF code?
MAF code faulty EGR.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TheCake » Sat May 21, 2022 9:55 am

Generic readers don't understand ford protocols that well and read things wrong if you search the forum for maf issues they are usually egr related
I had the same with my van used a generic reader and pulled a maf code but when using forscan it read correctly
is that rust spot new?

TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TheCake » Sat May 21, 2022 10:02 am

As for the fan code check the connector is fully inserted on the fan as that's what I've observed to be a possible cause

Had the van been left standing for a while what is mileage and was it short trips or long trips. A good hour or so driving on motorway should clear any gunk in egr/dpf
is that rust spot new?

TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MattyTramp » Mon May 23, 2022 11:52 am

I don't think it had been standing for particularly long - but I can't say for certain. Likewise whether it was long or short trips, probably a mixture being an ex AA van.
Mileage is 110000

It had a good run when returning from the dealer. It was during a short local trip after that that the light first came on. I cleared the light myself and it subsequently came on again.

The van is now back with the dealer to get the issues sorted and we will see what happens next. If I end up keeping the van I will definitely invest in Forscan and a reader.

Thanks for the input folks.
MattyTramp

Postby Crazyjnz » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:40 pm

Hello, the cooling fan error code p0691 could be the control wire broken/corroded. On the back of the radiator there is a fan control module that has 3 wires going into it and 2 wires going out to the fan. The 3 wires going in are positive and negative and the 3rd smaller wire is the control wire. The control wire goes to the pcm. Check for corrosion or breaks. Most likely at the first fork in the loom when working back from the fan control module to the pcm.
Good luck and remember to clear the code as the fan/ac wont work until the code is cleared.
This is a common issue on other fords.
Crazyjnz

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits