*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternator wiring diagram

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Alternator wiring diagram

Postby conrod » Tue May 24, 2022 6:05 am

Hi all, I bought a 2001 Mk6 2.4 RWD campervan about 8 months ago, which I am refurbishing to use for our holidays. One of the many issues I am trying to sort is that the alternator warning light does not go out. It is charging okay; 14.3 volts, and I measured 50 amps coming out of the alternator, so nothing wrong there.

I know some of these Ford instrument clusters used the alternator warning light output to trigger a bulb check replay in the dash, which also controlled the alt. warning light, so I am wondering if the fault is there.

If anyone has a wiring diagram showing the alternator wiring that they are happy to share, it would be muchly appreciated! :)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Alternator wiring diagram

Postby wojciech » Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 am

I am attaching a diagram from the Haynes manual.

The numbering of the fuses in the diagram does not correspond to the numbering in the Ford manual.
In diagram No. 30 is actually No. 106, No. 32 is No. 108, No. 28 is No. 104, No. 4 is also No. 4. These are the fuses in the box in the engine compartment.
In the box in the cabin, number in diagram 61 is actually number 215.
FLA, FLB and FLC markings are current protections in the form of Fusible Link "A", "B" and "C" respectively.

1, 2 - battery
3 - starter
4 - alternator
5 - fuse box in the engine compartment
6 - ignition switch
7 - fuse box in the passenger compartment

The designation of the relays is the same in the diagram and in the Ford manual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby conrod » Wed May 25, 2022 6:41 am

Thanks very much for the diagram :) I will check it tomorrow, my alternator has 3 small wires, as well as the B+, but if those two colours on the diagram correspond to mine then that might be helpful.

Obviously in the diagram the alternator controls a relay, rather a warning light directly, and any fault with the relay or wiring to it might see the warning light stay on, even when the alternator is charging; which seems to be the case with mine!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wojciech » Wed May 25, 2022 10:03 am

It may be that pins 2 and 4 in the R5 relay socket have lost contact E2 to ground. Quick test: put the thin wire into pin 2 or 4 in the socket, put the relay back in the socket, short the wire to good ground. Maybe the alternator light will go out.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits