*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Can you tell me where to get this/how to fix?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Can you tell me where to get this/how to fix?

Postby Jonnypopo » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Looking to start my first welding jobs in earnest - the inner wheel arches. The crossmember / support under the floor is rotten (as per photos). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or have ideas on how to repair?

Would really appreciate any ideas.

Thanks all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonnypopo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Can you tell me where to get this/how to fix?

Postby TheCake » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:33 pm

if you cant find a replacement if you have any folding tools or a crafting mind you may be able to fabricate a new piece from some sheet steel
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:41 pm

its all about making it up as you go along , standing back, aiming to impress the mot man, making it a good purposeful repair that is stronger and better than originally what was there .---which is pretty poor on most fords
you need tools like this metal folder ..that can probably be got off ebay for under £70

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265198164010 ... SwYPpgyfHY

mines the blue one below, other pics of it being used, will fold 2mm thick with ease ..don't going buying the fragile looking ones

note that folder only folds certain ways and you then have to improvise with other gizmos that you build to do the job - that's what you are seeing is those two box sections bolted together.

or use a vice to the same effect .

other than that you can spend thousands on pro equipment, once you start fabrication ..it may take over your life - you can get heavily into everything mechanical ..and it will change you ..for better or worse ..so be warned

ist picture is the finished panels ..sorry pics are jumble
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby DG-Unit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:10 am

Jonnypopo wrote:Hi everyone,

Looking to start my first welding jobs in earnest - the inner wheel arches. The crossmember / support under the floor is rotten (as per photos). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement or have ideas on how to repair?

Would really appreciate any ideas.

Thanks all

I found you can get pretty far with a 12oz ball hammer and a bunch of 1.5mm sheet metal. Even recycled the flat bits of my old sliding door. You can get also get some boxy looking arches from eBay and cut out the bits you need. You’ve probably clocked this already but I would cut the rust back further from what’s on your pictures so you’re not trying to weld onto pitted brown metal. Even if you wire brush the brown stuff off you’ll blow through and have to chase the holes until you get good metal. Having ugly looking welds wasn’t the problem it was every time it happened it took 4 times as long with the angle grinder as the welding and prep itself. A moment on the MIG, a lifetime on the grinder (not sure that will catch on). That said, rear arches are a great place to start the learning. If you’ve not already done it, make sure you protect the tyres and flexible brake lines from hot metal splatter with a welding or fire blanket.
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jonnypopo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I agree - I just need to be brave and go for it - I’ve got the metal, the tools and the welder. Just need the time and hopefully I can bring him back to life.
Jonnypopo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits