*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 6 starting issue, can't increase revs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk 6 starting issue, can't increase revs

Postby The combat wombat » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:33 pm

Got a strange starting issue on our MK6. Most of the time it starts straight away, but other times it will turn over, start to fire, but then cut out. Yesterday it caught, but then sat at tickover and pushing the throttle pedal did nothing. :? I had to turn it off and after several attempts it then fired up and would rev properly.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

No warning lights, although I did notice that when it was on a non-responsive tickover, the oil light was flickering. It's just been serviced, all new filters, oil change and a split turbo pipe replaced, so when it runs, it's responsive and now has plenty of power - so long as it actually starts!
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk 6 starting issue, can't increase revs

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:04 pm

The combat wombat wrote:Got a strange starting issue on our MK6. Most of the time it starts straight away, but other times it will turn over, start to fire, but then cut out. Yesterday it caught, but then sat at tickover and pushing the throttle pedal did nothing. :? I had to turn it off and after several attempts it then fired up and would rev properly.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

No warning lights, although I did notice that when it was on a non-responsive tickover, the oil light was flickering. It's just been serviced, all new filters, oil change and a split turbo pipe replaced, so when it runs, it's responsive and now has plenty of power - so long as it actually starts!

What engine oil did they use..?? If the engine doesn't get to ~800rpm at idle after stating, the throttle is disabled until it gets to a stable idle.

Have you had the codes read..?? You don't have to have a flashing glow plug light to have fault codes stored.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The combat wombat » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:59 pm

knobby1 wrote:
What engine oil did they use..?? If the engine doesn't get to ~800rpm at idle after stating, the throttle is disabled until it gets to a stable idle.

Have you had the codes read..?? You don't have to have a flashing glow plug light to have fault codes stored.

Lord Knobrot

I'm not sure on the engine oil, but I presume it was a good one as he only uses genuine parts for filters, etc. but I'll ask. It was also doing this before the service, but I he had a lot to do and probably forgot to check the codes.

I've got a cheap and cheerful reader and it won't recognise the transit, although it's fine on my 08 Volvo! I'll take it back and get my guy to read the codes, see what's going on.
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:03 pm

The combat wombat wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I'm not sure on the engine oil, but I presume it was a good one as he only uses genuine parts for filters, etc. but I'll ask. It was also doing this before the service, but I he had a lot to do and probably forgot to check the codes.

I've got a cheap and cheerful reader and it won't recognise the transit, although it's fine on my 08 Volvo! I'll take it back and get my guy to read the codes, see what's going on.

It's not the oil quality which is the issue, it's the viscosity, transits normally run 5w30, anything heavier can often cause issues during the first start of the day when the oil is cold...I had the same issue when I first got my van...it had 20w50 in it and wouldn't start properly until I filled it with 5w30....then it was all good.

Mk6 Transits are not OBD-II compliant, so most of the newer readers, (cheap or not) won't work....Forscan and a modified ELM-327 are the go to for Mk6/7 Transits.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The combat wombat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:16 pm

I'll check on the oil but it's doing this non-starting when the engine is warm. He suspects that it could be a dodgy crank shaft sensor? He said he'd take it off and test it, anyway.

When it was in last week, he said it wasn't showing any codes, but he'll check with a different reader, just to make sure. He knows it's not ODBII compliant and has readers that should work on the Mk6
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby The combat wombat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:34 pm

knobby1 wrote:Forscan and a modified ELM-327 are the go to for Mk6/7 Transits.

Lord Knobrot

Will this work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333969600157 ... SwupFggDib
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chug » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:41 pm

Get one of these Modified ELM 327 from Steve Elmer @ Tunnel Rat Electronics here https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.c ... 45457.aspx

Download and Install Forscan here https://forscan.org/download.html
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby TIMO » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:10 am

my pedal on the way out,,,occasionally she stays on tickover and refuses to rev up
BBC = British Broadcasting Conspiracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj82wxnO ... r_embedded
TIMO
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby The combat wombat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:11 am

Chug wrote:Get one of these Modified ELM 327 from Steve Elmer @ Tunnel Rat Electronics here https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.c ... 45457.aspx

Download and Install Forscan here https://forscan.org/download.html

Thank you
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:57 pm

The combat wombat wrote:
knobby1 wrote:Forscan and a modified ELM-327 are the go to for Mk6/7 Transits.

Lord Knobrot

Will this work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333969600157 ... SwupFggDib

Don't use WiFi or Bluetooth units...they tend to be rather "flakey" at best and can "drop out" at the most inopportune times causing lots of grief.....Use the cable one Chug has linked to.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The combat wombat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:32 pm

TIMO wrote:my pedal on the way out,,,occasionally she stays on tickover and refuses to rev up

It's only done the tickover thing once, the rest of the time it won't even fire. Not to say the pedal isn't at fault, but I will see what the garage says.
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby The combat wombat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 pm

knobby1 wrote:Don't use WiFi or Bluetooth units...they tend to be rather "flakey" at best and can "drop out" at the most inopportune times causing lots of grief.....Use the cable one Chug has linked to.

Lord Knobrot

Noted, thank you
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 pm

The combat wombat wrote:
TIMO wrote:my pedal on the way out,,,occasionally she stays on tickover and refuses to rev up

It's only done the tickover thing once, the rest of the time it won't even fire. Not to say the pedal isn't at fault, but I will see what the garage says.

Won't be the pedal causing it not to start. The pedal is disabled by the PCM until a stable idle is achieved.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby The combat wombat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:03 pm

They've tried three different code readers, it's not showing anything. They've also fired it up he reckons 30+ times and it's started every time! I've asked them to deliberately stall it, as that's when I seem to get the issue most often...

As for the Oil, it had Castrol magnatec 5w30 put in it
The combat wombat
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits