*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Coolant temp sensor?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Coolant temp sensor?

Postby Welshhobo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:36 pm

57 plate 2.2TDCi 110hp

My temperature gauge on the dash has been dropping from 90°c to 60°c quickly when the van is running, and slowly making its way back up to 90°c again. I've replaced the thermostat (the old one was pretty rusty, but seemed functional), but still getting the same issue. I want to replace the coolant temp sensor but not sure where it is located - can anyone provide a picture or video demonstrating it?

The temperature drops pretty randomly but sometimes its when i hit a bump in the road. I get a small loss of power when it drops and a irregular hum from the engine when idling.
Welshhobo

Re: Coolant temp sensor?

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:48 am

Welshhobo wrote:57 plate 2.2TDCi 110hp

My temperature gauge on the dash has been dropping from 90°c to 60°c quickly when the van is running, and slowly making its way back up to 90°c again. I've replaced the thermostat (the old one was pretty rusty, but seemed functional), but still getting the same issue. I want to replace the coolant temp sensor but not sure where it is located - can anyone provide a picture or video demonstrating it?

The temperature drops pretty randomly but sometimes its when i hit a bump in the road. I get a small loss of power when it drops and a irregular hum from the engine when idling.

The Euro-4's don't have a coolant temp sensor, it's actually a cylinder head temp sensor and it lives in the cyl head between the fuel pump and vaccum pump on the FWD's...on the right side of the head as you look at it. You'll need a long series 15mm socket with a slot cut in to clear the wiring. These sensors usually fail completely rather than being intermittent. Could just be the loom or the connector not happy...worth checking at least.

Another thing to check on the FWD's with strange temp indications is the water pump drive coupling between the PAS and the water pump....it's quite common for them to fail and the pumps to stop turning...but this usually results in rising temps rather than the other way.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits