*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 fuel problems

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.4 fuel problems

Postby Anothertransit12 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:33 pm

Hi all. My 2.4 2011 transit started to loose power, poor idle and get smokey recently. I gave it a good hard drive for 20km in case the egr was dirty as it had been only doing local driving recently. By the end of my trip home it was bellowing out smoke worse than ever. Next day it was very hard to start and cut out after 10 seconds, restarts straight away for 1 second only repeating this several times. I stuck on a new fuel filter ( filled fiter with fuel first). When fitting the filter i noticed the old filter was only little over half full of fuel?. The last couple of days it starts in the mornings for ten seconds and after that it will only fire up for a second only. Smokes heavy with a diesel smell. I need to get it to a local garage and it would be handy to be able drive it there, Is there anything simple that could be causing it before i arrange a tow? I have no code reader or special equiqment. Engine manage light has been on for 2 year or more in case anyone asks did it come on. Thanks in advance.
Anothertransit12
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.4 fuel problems

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:55 am

Anothertransit12 wrote:Hi all. My 2.4 2011 transit started to loose power, poor idle and get smokey recently. I gave it a good hard drive for 20km in case the egr was dirty as it had been only doing local driving recently. By the end of my trip home it was bellowing out smoke worse than ever. Next day it was very hard to start and cut out after 10 seconds, restarts straight away for 1 second only repeating this several times. I stuck on a new fuel filter ( filled fiter with fuel first). When fitting the filter i noticed the old filter was only little over half full of fuel?. The last couple of days it starts in the mornings for ten seconds and after that it will only fire up for a second only. Smokes heavy with a diesel smell. I need to get it to a local garage and it would be handy to be able drive it there, Is there anything simple that could be causing it before i arrange a tow? I have no code reader or special equiqment. Engine manage light has been on for 2 year or more in case anyone asks did it come on. Thanks in advance.

You'll definitely need to get the codes read. You can easily do this yourself using Forscan and a modified ELM-327.

When were the learns last done..?? Air filter ok..?? What colour is the smoke..??

As sticking/faulty EGR, SCV/PRV will give similar symptoms. Crank and cam sensors clean..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits