*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

problem starting when engine is warm/hot

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: problem starting when engine is warm/hot

Postby Candoo » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:24 pm

Hi, my transit has similar issues. Did this get solved? Cheers Craig
Candoo

Postby ant_harvey » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:21 pm

knobby1 wrote:
ant_harvey wrote:I have run tests with my ELM 327 and no codes shown for any modules.

Using Forscan via the ELM-327..?? Or another program..??

Lord Knobrot

Yes using Forscan with the ELM-327
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ant_harvey » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:07 pm

IMG_3337.jpg
Quick little update and a follow up question - so I have now replaced both batteries (they were done) and today fitted a new starter motor (also goosed). The youtube vids I used didnt show this magic little black plastic housing around the terminals - that was a pain in the b-hind. Im all up and running again but there is a loose wire, looks like a sensor. It might have been hanging down before or I might have dislodged it in my struggle to get the terminals disconnected. Can anyone identify it and politely tell me where to stick it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ant_harvey » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:11 pm

A quick follow up - in the picture have I wired this correctly? I have the live (thick red) cable going to the 12mm, earth goes to the bolt securing starter to the engine and two wires to the 10mm switch pole.
I only ask as on my test drive the solonoid didnt disengage and Ive already burned out my my starter - well thats my verdict. Engine Malfunction showing on dash / engine cut out / nasty plastic burning smell / very hot body (no, on the starter not me!). Thanks and please explain why Im a dumbass or could it be a duff starter?
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ant_harvey » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:34 pm

Solution: Its all fixed and running normally; turns out it was fairly simple - a new starter (£50 from ebay) and replacement battery (£100). Its been running perfectly now for a couple of months so safe to say its sorted. Thanks for advice and support.
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits