*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch release bearing noise/replacement

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Clutch release bearing noise/replacement

Postby terjeloe » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:27 pm

I have a 2011 MK6 with 2.2 Duratorq engine. I bought it in may 2021 an have driven it about 4000 km and I got receipts that the clutch and flywheel was replaced just before I bought it.

Now I have a noise that goes away when I press the clutch in and from what I understand this is the Clutch release bearing?

In the beginning I had some issue where the clutch pedal did not come all the way out so I put my foot under the pedal and lifted it up. Could it be that it somehow has been half engaged and been wearing it out?

I don't know if they replaced the clutch release bearing when the flywheel and clutch was replaced.

I am going to take out the gearbox and replace the clutch release bearing, but thinking it shouldn't be necessary to replace the flywheel again? I need to order some parts for the job. Is there any other parts than the clutch release bearing I should replace?
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Clutch release bearing noise/replacement

Postby terjeloe » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:14 pm

Help!? :)
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:34 am

terjeloe wrote:Help!? :)

Firstly a 2011 2.2 will not be a Mk6, it will be a Mk7. Mk6 ceased production in early 2006 and the FWD's were never 2.2L. 2011 can be either a Euro-4 or Euro-5...depending on the actual build date, not the reg date..

If the dual mass flywheel and friction plate are only 4000km old, they should be pretty much like new unless they've been abused.

In reality, the release bearing/slave cyl should be replaced along with the flywheel and friction plate....they normally come in a "kit" which includes the release bearing, I would be surprised if it wasn't replaced.

If the pedal is sticking down...and the release bearing (which is part of the slave cyl on a FWD), is ok, I suspect your master cylinder is not well.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby terjeloe » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:02 pm

Thanks for your reply. :)

Hmm.. Thats confusing.. When I search with the registration plate on car part sites I get MK6 and 2.2 (autodoc).. It also says Tourneo which is wrong also.

It was registered end of june 2011 in Norway.

Anyways when I search on a vin decoder site I get these details and it does say 2.2 also. It says manufactured 2011 and date 12/05/2011:
transitdetails.png

Not sure about euro4 or euro5

I have seen that Mekonomen which is a large part store and car mechanic here in Norway and is the place that did the job last year sell LUK clutch set without the Clutch Release Bearing: https://www.mekonomen.no/clutchsett-luk-10057920

If the master cylinder is broken.. would that make the same noise? Or is that just related to the clutch not comming back up? Its not sticking down fully.. its just not comming up all the way so I have been helping it a little.

I have ordered a new clutch release bearing all ready..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:56 pm

terjeloe wrote:Thanks for your reply. :)

Hmm.. Thats confusing.. When I search with the registration plate on car part sites I get MK6 and 2.2 (autodoc).. It also says Tourneo which is wrong also.

It was registered end of june 2011 in Norway.

Anyways when I search on a vin decoder site I get these details and it does say 2.2 also. It says manufactured 2011 and date 12/05/2011:
transitdetails.png

Not sure about euro4 or euro5

I have seen that Mekonomen which is a large part store and car mechanic here in Norway and is the place that did the job last year sell LUK clutch set without the Clutch Release Bearing: https://www.mekonomen.no/clutchsett-luk-10057920

If the master cylinder is broken.. would that make the same noise? Or is that just related to the clutch not comming back up? Its not sticking down fully.. its just not comming up all the way so I have been helping it a little.

I have ordered a new clutch release bearing all ready..

Any Mk7 "built" before 26th September 2011 will be Euro-4. As mentioned, Mk6 Transits were never manufactured with a 2.2L engine, their FWD's were all 2.0L.

Master cylinder will not cause any noises but can be the cause of the pedal not coming back up.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby terjeloe » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:51 pm

knobby1 wrote:Any Mk7 "built" before 26th September 2011 will be Euro-4. As mentioned, Mk6 Transits were never manufactured with a 2.2L engine, their FWD's were all 2.0L.

Master cylinder will not cause any noises but can be the cause of the pedal not coming back up.

Lord Knobrot

Okay, Thanks. Then its a mk7 euro-4. :)

I've taken down the gearbox today. Turning the bearing by hand it seemed to run fine. When I drive I can hear the noise, most of the time. It gets really bad in 5th and 6th gear and speed above 90km/h.

It seems like I wont get the new bearing before monday. I will get a clutch master cylinder and replace that also.
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby terjeloe » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:20 pm

Hmm.. I found some copper wire wound up around the flywheel.. What can that come from? There is a sensor there, counting the rotations.. it is whole, but maybe it has been broken somehow when the flywheel was replaced and then replaced without taking out the gearbox? Is there anything else it could come from?
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:10 pm

terjeloe wrote:Hmm.. I found some copper wire wound up around the flywheel.. What can that come from? There is a sensor there, counting the rotations.. it is whole, but maybe it has been broken somehow when the flywheel was replaced and then replaced without taking out the gearbox? Is there anything else it could come from?

The crank sensor has no wire in it as such, it's basically just a magnetic pick-up and senses the teeth on the flywheel as they go past. Strange there is wire inside the bell housing..?? :?

Are you able to take a pic for us..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby terjeloe » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:11 pm

Yes, very strange.. no clue where it comes from then.. I pulled it all out of there and I have put it togheter.. still need to vent it before I can go for a test.. will do tomorrow..

This is some of the wire.. looks like its winding cooper wire
8845B6D9-AD18-4651-8CA2-72F01C783E2B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby terjeloe » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:09 pm

Okay, I am lost.. took it for a test drive today.. the noise is still there..

Suspecting something in the gearbox/transmission.. any idéa what it could be? Its there when driving in pretty high speeds.. get worse in 5th and 6th gear.. sometimes go away when pressing the clutch.. also adjusting down a little on the accelerator it goes away..

How difficult is it to replace parts in the gearbox? I managed to get it out and back in with some extra hands. I could try to find a used gearbox also though..
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:38 pm

You may have a failing bearing or gear in the gearbox...when was the oil last replaced..??

Exchange gearbox is the way to go....repairing it yourself is difficult if you don't have the proper tooling etc.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby terjeloe » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:48 am

I put in about 3 liters of new transmission oil now when I put it back togheter again.. engine oil I am not sure..

I’ll try to find a used gearbox then
terjeloe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits