*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Failed injector learn

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Failed injector learn

Postby david.reid83 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:29 pm

Hey folks,

Been having issues with my 2.2 fwd and replaced the SVC due to it not starting from hot, I did the learn in the pump ok but still the same issue, so did a injector pilot learn as advised by someone and tried that, went well till cyl4 failed and now I have the fault code stuck saying learn failed.

Van still won’t start from hot and did a leak test no issues and it runs smooth at idle so the injectors are working.

There is no loss of fuel at the prv when hot so it’s not that, I did change my starter (euro car parts) a while ago but it’s a bit more sluggish even with a new battery do you think it’s the starter that’s the issue again for the hot start? My problem is that won’t be connected to the injector learn so is this a coincidence Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Failed injector learn

Postby david.reid83 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm

I ment to say she dose start hot with a sniff of brake cleaner

david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:08 pm

Check whether the fuel filter is full of fuel.
If it is full of air then check for an air leak, you have to do this by applying suction to the leak-off pipework and if the pressure comes back up to atmospheric then you have a leak.
Air leaks are more obvious when the engie is hot because the fuel gets hot and runnier, so does not seal the connectors so well as when it is cold.

If the scv needed changing then the prv may have been triggered and has not closed properly, this is fairly common.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:26 pm

david.reid83 wrote:I ment to say she dose start hot with a sniff of brake cleaner

Was the SCV a genuine Ford/Denso unit..?? Was the PRV replaced at the same time..??

As v8dave said...the PRV's are prone to failing if the SCV has failed "open".

If it starts with a sniff of easy start, it's a fuel, (or lack of) issue.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby david.reid83 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:44 pm

knobby1 wrote:
david.reid83 wrote:I ment to say she dose start hot with a sniff of brake cleaner

Was the SCV a genuine Ford/Denso unit..?? Was the PRV replaced at the same time..??

As v8dave said...the PRV's are prone to failing if the SCV has failed "open".

If it starts with a sniff of easy start, it's a fuel, (or lack of) issue.

Lord Knobrot
Hey Knobby,

Can’t guarantee if it was as the last one I de believe it was a denso copy, this time I got it from the transit parts Center in Northern Ireland and paid £75 for it so I hope it was genuine.

As mentioned I changed SCV thinking it had failed as it was the same symptoms as the last time, however this had made no difference as before when I changed it, this would start from hot just needed the learns done. So never bother to change it as it’s not passing when cold or hot. With that in mind I may have changed the SCV and actually never needed to.

The Symptoms I had before all this was it would cut out coming upto random junctions, with me actually just thinking I stalled it, but this happend few months ago where it cut out then I tried to start it and it was like the battery was dead, but I knew for a fact this was not the case as it was a brand new battery fitted, this is when I got it recovered from the side of the road and changed the starter, after this it started fine then a few weeks later this happens.

david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits