*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2013 FWD 2.2, Fuel Filter replacement?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2013 FWD 2.2, Fuel Filter replacement?

Postby Flowboy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:52 pm

Hi again
following my previous post at the weekend... now I'm suspicious that the fuel filter has either never, or not for many years been replaced. Plus I previously ran the tank virtually empty so any crud in the bottom will have been pulled into the already old filter. :oops: :roll:
The van ticks over fine & has done a couple of short trips since the breakdown

I am considering taking EGR off which looks simple enough (prices go from under £100 to about £200 with discount) but figured I should start with neglected basic maintenance.

Is it practical to replace the fuel filter "at home"? Or is it a better bet to talk to a Ford dealer & pay through the nose for peace of mind?
I've heard that you're better off with a genuine filter rather than a cheap ebay one. GSF have several different grades & the better(?) Mahle & UFI ones are £25 so not massively expensive. Are they equivalent to OEM, or should I just go to Ford?
I'm an OK mechanic but I have concerns about keeping air out of the fuel system. It doesn't look easy to do it by clamping the hoses as they are solid. It's not obvious that there is any way to clear air that might get trapped.
The filter is a bit inaccessible but I assume the cover plate comes off to access the housing. Do Ford dealers use some special priming tool to ensure no air gets in, or at least be eliminated?

BTW I found this; https://www.fueltechexperts.com/egr-cle ... r-cleaners
Flowboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2013 FWD 2.2, Fuel Filter replacement?

Postby Flowboy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:50 pm

I just found that my 2013 trannie is identical to 2012 so nothing unusual about the fuel filter change. There is an air purge valve (bicycle type tyre valve cap) just under the big air filter pipe next to the oil filter. All looks pretty straightforward. I read that you should turn on ign (but not start) for 20 secs, 3 times, before starting & running, to allow air to clear.
I guess that allows the pump to prime & start to purge air before you actually run the motor.
Flowboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2013 FWD 2.2, Fuel Filter replacement?

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 pm

Flowboy wrote:I just found that my 2013 trannie is identical to 2012 so nothing unusual about the fuel filter change. There is an air purge valve (bicycle type tyre valve cap) just under the big air filter pipe next to the oil filter. All looks pretty straightforward. I read that you should turn on ign (but not start) for 20 secs, 3 times, before starting & running, to allow air to clear.
I guess that allows the pump to prime & start to purge air before you actually run the motor.

Fuel filters on the Euro-5's are different to the earlier Euro-4's, they're a cartridge type filter rather than a steel "bayonet" type filter....and relatively easy to do. The earlier bayonet type can indeed be difficult to remove and refit if not done recently....and poor quality ones are prone to allowing air ingress.

Euro-5 machines have a fuel lift pump in the tank whereas the Euro-4's do not.

Euro-5 here:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... EzMw%3D%3D

Euro-4 here:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... U1NjIrMTMz

Lord Knobrot

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits