*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 2.4DI RWD fuel system air leak/FIP DTCs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 2.4DI RWD fuel system air leak/FIP DTCs

Postby fancourt » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:46 pm

Hi all,

Been away from the forum (and my van) for quite a long while now... finally need to sort it out and get it back on the road.

Symptoms:
1) My fuel filter is emptying itself.
2) Starts on the button, but as soon as I touch the accelerator it coughs a few times with the revs pulsing, then dies.
3) The dreaded DTCs P1664 and P1564 appear.
4) If I clear the DTCs, prime the filter, then start the van without touching the accelerator, then shut it down again after 30 seconds or so... no new DTCs

It took me a while but I had finally resigned myself to replacing the injection pump, but thought I better take the fuel filter assy out to check for cracks etc and any other problems first.

This is what I noticed:

Fuel Filter Leak.jpg

Does this look like I might have found the source of my air leak to anyone else?

When I look inside the pipe fitting on the flow from the filter to the pump I see more clues:

Flow to pump pipe fitting.jpg

Compared to the pipe fitting on the flow from the tank to the filter:

Flow to filter pipe.jpg

Here are my questions:

1) What are the chances the air leak is starving the pump of fuel and causing those DTCs, rather than an actual pump failure?

2) Is it worth me reassembling everything and replacing that pipe between the filter and the pump in case it solves my problem first before sending the pump off and forking out for a new one?

3) Are those fuel line pipes only available from Ford, or does anyone else know of a better value source? This seems to be the part number: 4696413 or YC159289ED found here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford ... 3530174675?

4) Is it worth trying to replace the O-rings inside the fitting or should I just by a whole new pipe set?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fancourt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk6 2.4DI RWD fuel system air leak/FIP DTCs

Postby fancourt » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:40 pm

Think I've mostly answered my own questions in case anybody stumbles upon this with similar issues in future:

(1) & (2) - Tried replacing the leaky fuel line with a temporary clear hose and got all the air out. Still didn't solve the problems with the pump. Call me deluded... or an optimist... but I would have loved to find a way out of having to spend nearly £700 on a reconditioned pump.

(3) - Looks like it's either buy the whole pipe assembly from Ford, or else make up your own hoses with fuel pipe clamps.

(4) - Can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere as to what the green and yellow double set of o-rings are made out of. The yellow one is probably Viton but the green could possibly be a couple of different things. Looks like I might as well just replace the whole pipe assembly. In for a penny, in for a pound...
fancourt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits