*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

The awful timing drive of the Duratorq

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

The awful timing drive of the Duratorq

Postby andypdq » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:09 pm

I'm approaching 60, so I'm a grumpy old fart, I can't hold it in any longer. The timing drive of the Duratorq is abysmal. It's obvious how it could be sorted, but Ford never addressed the issue.

The inlet cam has a small angle of "wrap" regarding the timing chain and the cam sprocket, this is just bad, you don't have to be an engineer to see the problem. The slightest slack in the timing chain and the chain jumps and pistons hit valves, then rips the cam carrier from the cylinder head and they're both trash.

The obvious solution would be to place an idler sprocket towards the centre line of the engine to give a good wrap around the inlet cam sprocket. They went to this trouble with the serpentine auxiliary drive belt, but they couldn't be arsed to apply the same principle to the more important timing drive.

Help me understand???
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: The awful timing drive of the Duratorq

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:33 pm

The Designers/ Engineers / Draughtsmen are now cad technicians with swivel chairs who have grown up with Nintendo and play station and have only virtual and no real world experience .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:17 pm

andypdq wrote:I'm approaching 60, so I'm a grumpy old fart, I can't hold it in any longer. The timing drive of the Duratorq is abysmal. It's obvious how it could be sorted, but Ford never addressed the issue.

The inlet cam has a small angle of "wrap" regarding the timing chain and the cam sprocket, this is just bad, you don't have to be an engineer to see the problem. The slightest slack in the timing chain and the chain jumps and pistons hit valves, then rips the cam carrier from the cylinder head and they're both trash.

The obvious solution would be to place an idler sprocket towards the centre line of the engine to give a good wrap around the inlet cam sprocket. They went to this trouble with the serpentine auxiliary drive belt, but they couldn't be arsed to apply the same principle to the more important timing drive.

Help me understand???

Only 60 eh..?? I've got hemorrhoids that have had more birthdays.. :lol:

This doesn't apply to the FWD Mk7 as it has substantially more "chain teeth" engaged than the others as the fuel pump isn't driven directly by the cam chain. Agree about the others though.

Mk7 FWD here:

FORD-TRANSIT-2-2-EURO-4-SILNIK-JAK-NOWY-2006-Typ-samochodu-Samochody-dostawcze.jpg

Lord Knobrot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:47 pm

But they have now sorted the issue :?

The new 2.0 Euro6 Transits now have a timing belt running in oil, which causes even more collateral damage when it fails :shock: :P
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 am

Altransit wrote:But they have now sorted the issue :?

The new 2.0 Euro6 Transits now have a timing belt running in oil, which causes even more collateral damage when it fails :shock: :P

That's true...makes the old chain setup look rather good then.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 pm

I have a 1966 Massey Ferguson 135 tractor, bought by my late father brand new, it has the Perkins 152 cubic inch 3 cylinder engine. It's been fantastically reliable. It's had one set of pistons and liners fitted, due to it completing over 10,000 hours of service, it has a substantial helical gear timing drive train, which is as good as new. No timing drive service required since 1966. Progress??

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:14 pm

andypdq wrote:I have a 1966 Massey Ferguson 135 tractor, bought by my late father brand new, it has the Perkins 152 cubic inch 3 cylinder engine. It's been fantastically reliable. It's had one set of pistons and liners fitted, due to it completing over 10,000 hours of service, it has a substantial helical gear timing drive train, which is as good as new. No timing drive service required since 1966. Progress??

Agree...."Made to last" is what you call that. Timing chains and belts are a way of cutting costs and weight instead using proper gears and bearings to do it right....no tensioners to fail, no chains or belts to fail.....totally reliable.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:18 pm

What? you're not showing signs of cynicism are you?

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:37 am

Awful unreliable engines them mk7 fwd E4 Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:54 am

andypdq wrote:

Cynical? Moi? Never :P

I was hinting, in my clumsy way, at the fact that the timing chain of the duratorq was/is inherantly more reliable than the belt of the later replacement, or even the earlier Di, (although not as catastrophic on the Di).
Some of the duratorq's have many hundreds of thousand miles on the clock without suffering any problems with the chain
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:49 pm

Altransit wrote:
andypdq wrote:

Cynical? Moi? Never

I was hinting, in my clumsy way, at the fact that the timing chain of the duratorq was/is inherantly more reliable than the belt of the later replacement, or even the earlier Di, (although not as catastrophic on the Di).
Some of the duratorq's have many hundreds of thousand miles on the clock without suffering any problems with the chain
Your right altranny
Many many many thousands of miles like 700,008 miles

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andypdq » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:41 pm

Some of the duratorq's have many hundreds of thousand miles on the clock without suffering any problems with the chain[/quote]Your right altranny
Many many many thousands of miles like 700,008 miles

Yes, you're correct but the only ones which have done that mileage will have had attentive owners who ensure any potential problem is addressed as soon as there are any signs of trouble, which is how it should be done.

The unfortunate reality is that when a vehicle gets old, it's sold by the well off owner to someone who's not so well off who just keeps driving it until it fails. If you have the old Di, if the cam belt fails, then the worst you'll likely see is bent pushrods or some snapped rocker arms, a cheap fix, when the timing drive fails on the duratorq, it's a much more expensive prospect.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andypdq » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:17 pm

Scroll down the page a bit and you'll see a photo of an engine with yellow paint,not the exact engine but similar, does the duratorq's timing drive look more robust?

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php ... ng.216110/

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andypdq » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:25 pm

Agree...."Made to last" is what you call that. Timing chains and belts are a way of cutting costs and weight instead using proper gears and bearings to do it right....no tensioners to fail, no chains or belts to fail.....totally reliable.

Lord Knobrot[/quote]

Exactly, belts and chains are cheap and nasty. I've had a bit of experience of "General Aviation", light aircraft to you and me, and guess what? The vast majority of piston engine planes in service have gear driven timing, if you need to ask why, well... Continental and Lycoming.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andypdq » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:05 pm

It's rather strange that super reliable chain driven timing is almost unknown in certified, single piston engined aircraft. :lol:

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits