*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Is my motorhome the wildest in the UK VIDEO

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Is my motorhome the wildest in the UK VIDEO

Postby Motorhomemadness » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:12 pm

As it goes motorhomes should be slow and boring but i,m 100% sure my tribute 720 sports x has been watching far too many world rally championships lol.

As stated in other posts, it has handling problems, no one knows why its so snappy but in the wet that snappiness turns into loads of front-right spinning leading to loads of fun, but when i want to grip it will not let me have much at all and that's without hills. Driving it around the north york moors where there are 25% hills i can any drive up those in the dry as it will not hold grip. Its always the front right that loses traction.

It has been remapped from 140 to 185 BHP and produces its full torque of 450 at 1800 rpm.

Best shown in my youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLlmKPJD8pk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SLlmKPJD8pk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Is my motorhome the wildest in the UK VIDEO

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:26 pm

FWD campervans rarely drive well when any sort of traction is needed.....most of the weight is over the rear axle. I know they give a little more head room but that's where the FWD advantage ends.

What posseses people to make FWD campers is beyond me.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:04 am

I think uk wise the cheapest van converting companies use is Peugeot/Citroen / Fiat plus they can put there own extended chassis between the axles on a front wheel drive coach built body conversion
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Motorhomemadness » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:36 am

knobby1 wrote:FWD campervans rarely drive well when any sort of traction is needed.....most of the weight is over the rear axle. I know they give a little more head room but that's where the FWD advantage ends.

What posseses people to make FWD campers is beyond me.

Lord Knobrot

Its a motorhome lol not a wee camper, it dawfs those things.

The thing is it never had the spinning or snapping issues until this handling started. I have no idea why 4 garaged can't local the knocking noise coming from the front right. it sounds like metal on metal.

It is fun with all this sliding, it outdoes the car kevs by miles, its, when it hit the hills, is when it becomes a major problem. I don,t think there are many RWD vans about tbh. the water tank sites passed the rear axe, why they did do that beats me as the waste tank sits in the middle of the van almost, when i noticed that I thought auto trail must be nuts. They don,t design them right. cluless.
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Motorhomemadness » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 am

dumper wrote:I think uk wise the cheapest van converting companies use is Peugeot/Citroen / Fiat plus they can put there own extended chassis between the axles on a front wheel drive coach built body conversion

They are roughly all the same, mine is an auto trail. I've seen loads of people having trouble with motorhomes from all companies. What i have done is looked or waited for issues and then fixed or upgraded, there's not been that many.

With the grip issues from the front right only. my mate thinks the shock may not have oil or gas in it, where the right side is relying on the spring only causes the traction bouncing.

I spent 18 years riding motorbikes and had great fun and this van is as nuts as those bikes. Let us say it's never boring, I call it the wild thing. I,ve done this a lot with car kevs when they are in supermarket carparks, when they spin about, when i,m passing them i do the same. you should see their faces lmao, depending on the tarmac it will spin up in 4th.

auto trail used Ford's wild body cab unit for this motorhome, something to do with the rear wheels being wider than the front.
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits