*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sore ar*e

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Sore ar*e

Postby crustydread » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:22 am

Morning all

My trusty MK7 is getting on a bit in age and miles and the seat isn't what it once was, hence the title of this post..!

In addition to pain in the posterior, I'm finding longer journeys are playing havoc with my lower back. Like many people, I suffer from chronic lower back pain anyway but driving distances is definitely is making it worse these days, which never used to happen.

After 11 years and 110k miles, the seat cushion could probably do with replacing but I was wondering if anyone has done anything else to improve comfort and help with lower back pain..?
crustydread
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Sore ar*e

Postby ray1965 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:04 pm

i bought a new foam off e bay, i found even at low mileage the foams start to givee up, i also done this on 2 mk6s

on my mk7 i also fitted the lumber support cushion from a knackered sport/limited seat, you just have to mount the inflation bulb differently

alternatively, im lead to believe the sport seat is a lot more comfy
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby tranmx2 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:57 pm

There's a thing like a net with wooden balls at each junction of the net - put it on the van seat - sit on it and lean back on it.
Roll a towel - lay on your back on the floor with the rolled towel in the arch of the back, adjust the roll OD till you feel comfortable with it.
Make another rolled towel and wrap it in tape - use this in the arch of your back when in the van seat.
Ensure your knees are lower than your hips when in the van seat and when sitting on chairs.
When the ache starts get out of the van and walk, lean backwards, lean backwards on the van, lean back over a fence/rail which is at the height as the arch of your back, rub the ache area of the back with an old screwdriver the ones with the big wooden handle which is shaped to fit your palm.
Get a vibrator massager device, find a nympho to operate it.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bortaf » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Arm rests do it for me, takes weight of my back, i regularly drive 5 to 6 hours in a stint, couldn't do it without them TBH.
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:09 pm

bortaf wrote:Arm rests do it for me, takes weight of my back, i regularly drive 5 to 6 hours in a stint, couldn't do it without them TBH.

Yes I had two, (one either side) on my old Mk5 Minibus, that was the most comfortable seat I've ever sat on, in a Transit. Definitely takes the pressure off the lower back when you can rest the elbows on a long journey 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby crustydread » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:04 pm

Thanks all, good advice.

The knees lower than hips thing is something I was aware of. My back is better on a long run in the van then it is in my partners BMW, purely because of this.

Agree on the arm rest, I use it all the time. Cruise control is another favourite, especially on a long journey. It doesn't help specifically with back or bum ache but it's amazing how much of a difference it makes to how you feel overall after a few hours.

I've ordered a seat cushion from ebay so hopefully that will help with the pita.

I have been wondering if it's time to start thinking about a newer van but they are so expensive right now. Plus I would want the things I have in this one, like cruise & aircon so even harder to come by. The auto lights & wipers are also nice but I could get by with without them.. :lol:

No dpf or adblue to worry about with this one either, which is nice.
crustydread
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:12 pm

Had a fiesta once ..back always playing up ..put in XR2 seats and it made hell of a difference ..

so will XR2 seats fit a transit ..probably so rare now, 30 years that they are a premium price .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby crustydread » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:24 am

I've now fitted the new cushion I got from Ebay and I can honestly say it's transformed my seating experience... :D

I've only done a few short trips since it's been in but it already feels so much better. It's much more supportive and my driving position is more upright. I don't think I realised just how baggy saggy the old one had become until I sat on the new one. I had to lower the seat a little as I was sitting so much taller..!

I'd definitely recommend it as a cheap(ish) way to improve comfort:)
crustydread
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:04 pm

My Jumbo had a 'courier pack' fitted from new which included sound insulation and seat squab, even after 280K miles, the seat is still one of the more comfortable ones I've sat in for long distances - there again, me arse may have meet the squab halfway in the 140K I've put on it.

The passenger seat however is only beaten by Mk8 seats as a torture device ...

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits