*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power steering pipe replacement

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Power steering pipe replacement

Postby bobinscot » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:06 pm

My high pressure ps pipe dumped all the fluid over my drive recently and its faiked where the bracket is which it seems is a common problem
I have got a pipe and two one use nuts but cant find on here what torque to use when I fit the nuts before pushing in the pipe.
Any advice much appreciated plus what to look out for so I don't make a hash of it
Tia
Bob
Transit fwd 07 reg 2.2
bobinscot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Power steering pipe replacement

Postby bobinscot » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:55 pm

Tried to get the pipe off I can see only one one use nut got that off ok at the pump end but the plate came off ok on the rack end but the pipe is solid, tried wd40 overnight still solid don’t think I can use heat as the pipes have o ring seals and its right next to the low pressure pipe, any ideas how to get this out much appreciated
bobinscot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rotory » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:41 am

Let us know how you get on, I’ve just sent for a replacement pipe for my Mk 6

Martin
2004 Mk6 TDDi, 2.4l, 125bhp, WF0AXXTTFA4B01902
rotory
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bobinscot » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:05 pm

I eventually got the pipe out of the rack end by soaking in penetrating fluid for a few days then hitting it on the flange with hammer and screwdriver then waggled it out, what a pain !
I then fitted the one use nut to the pipe pump end and torqued it to the spec I found online, the pipe pushed in then just fell out again so took this nut out and used the spare one as the pipe came with two and this time pushed the pipe on to the nut fully before tightening it, filled the reservoir and started up the engine for the pipe to immediately come out of the one use nut and leak my new ps fluid all over the drive, at a bit of a loss what the problem is, seems a weird thing this one use nut, any advice would be welcome
bobinscot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rotory » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, I’ve done mine last weekend. First time fit the pipe blew out of the union, knackering the O ring....ferking oil everywhere. Second fit using another union…..after pushing in the pipe I smacked it into the union with a rubber mallet. It seemed to go a bit further into the union. So far I’ve done 200 miles and so far it’s ok…………fingers crossed.
How the hell Ford approved this shite design is baffling
rotory
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bobinscot » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:40 pm

I got another nut off the ebay supplier that sold me the pipe and fitted that, lubricated it wi ps fluid and torqued it up to manufacturers spec. then pushed the pipe on heard it click and checked it was all the way home then started the engine, as soon as I turned the steering wheel it poped out and dumped my new ps fluid all over the drive yet again
I think my only solution is to ask fir a refund and buy a genuine Ford pipe and nut as this is getting expensive spraying my drive with ps fluid !!
bobinscot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rotory » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:18 pm

Yes, must be very depressing to repeatedly do the task.
rotory
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bobinscot » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:40 pm

I have taken off the oem pipe and sent it back for refund, does anyone have advice for the best online supplier to get a genuine Ford pipe from ?
bobinscot
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits