*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Head removal 2.4 mk7

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Head removal 2.4 mk7

Postby Colin K » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:25 pm

Hello,
Always like to update. She is going and has been ticking over for half an hour. Thank you all :)

Problem was all return pipe orings gone and letting in air so fuel draining back to tank. filter was half full so changed it and primed and away she went.

And now after sitting on the drive for three months !!!!!! No blooming clutch. was working ok when i parked her up I guess hydraulics :(

Any one had this And I am soooo sorry .

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Do you mean the clutch doesn't engage, or it doesn't disengage :?: :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Colin K » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:20 pm

Found it blooming rotted pipe from the slave to the master the firewall insulation was holding water and rotted it me working in the engine bay disturbed it.

I know hydralics are vast pressures but I wonder if i can sleeve the pipe and clamp it to get it moveable?

I have got brake pipe repair stuff but this is slightly bigger

Any thoughts be appreciated.

Col
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Block.jpg
Head.jpg
Head.jpg
Hello Guys,
I am sorry to be a pain in the bum. I am rather at my witts end I need to get out and earn some money before I sink.

Always thought I could hold my own with the old vehicle maintenance but hey ho.

Rebuilt the engine with new head which has been skimmed and pressure tested. New gasket set and bolts of course.

Last Friday after sorting the clutch hydraulics out set off for Suffolk. Got 40 miles and she began to over heat. Still has power and no water in the oil but steam coming out of the exhaust.

Tried some steel seal as that has worked in the past with other vehicled but nope.

This morning took the head off again which only took 2 hrs not a whole day :) Pics enclosed. I guess check the block for flatness?? If that is bad how do you skim that is it engine out ?

I have read elsewhere might even have been other vehicles that you can get a thicker more forgiving head gasket?? Any thoughts?

Any ideas be really appreciated.

Thank you, Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:53 pm

Update.

Put a steel rule on the block and she looks really true checked especially between the waterways and cylinders which "must" ?????? be the break Checked the bores they look ok for a vehicle that has done 200,000 miles.

Is there anywhere else that can fail causing steam out of the exhaust?

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:32 pm

what was your block face condition like before you put the head on ..because what I'm seeing now is rough.

sorry don't know this engine -why can i see what look like impressions made by valves on the top of the pistons.

all the best...mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:42 pm

metalworker0 wrote:what was your block face condition like before you put the head on ..because what I'm seeing now is rough.

sorry don't know this engine -why can i see what look like impressions made by valves on the top of the pistons.

all the best...mark

Hello Mate,
Thank you so much for the reply and I am sorry I should have mentioned that. About 30,000 miles ago the timing tensioner went and blew the top end so I replaced the rails etc etc etc. Took a chance on the head at the time and done as I say lots of miles since. However now I have the head off i can see the valves hit the pistons and dented them. Cannot see and cracks etc etc and not suffering with contaminated oil. Could have failed of course?

She drove beautifully for 40 miles before boiling over and now the exhaust is like a boiling kettle.

I put a steel rule on the block and cannot see any hollows but wonder if there is a more techy way ? Also sure I read somewhere of a thicker gasket?

Tomorrow I will polish the block to see if it shows upp any more, Is this megga important ? If so then perhaps I have been sloppy I must confess most heads that I have done have been steel.

Best regards,, Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:56 pm

One look at those pistons when taking the head off ..i would not have proceeded any further ..those indentations are deep, really deep ..i would not be surprised if if it didn't damage the conrods and the big ends...or set them up for a short lifespan.

cost wise i would be looking for another motor...as 200,000 plus the damage, it's not worth the time and effort.

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Colin K » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:00 pm

metalworker0 wrote:One look at those pistons when taking the head off ..i would not have proceeded any further ..those indentations are deep, really deep ..i would not be surprised if if it didn't damage the conrods and the big ends...or set them up for a short lifespan.

cost wise i would be looking for another motor...as 200,000 plus the damage, it's not worth the time and effort.

all the best..mark

Yes I agree but I am well down that road already £360 for a new/recon head needed two new batteries £200 its knowing when to stop isnt it :( All in all she is fantastic I am a chimney sweep so the rear is set up as a proper sweeps van. I think however fix her and sell it on for a newer one to take me into retirement :) :)

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:39 pm

Well, there is a way, can't promise you it will work ..but may get you by.. this advice just to get you out of a pickle...not knowing if previous damage may render all effort fruitless - so heed that warning!
buy this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185589641772 ... R-zvttLwYA

put grease around the piston edges

take labels off ..use flat side down in circular fashion / figure of eight, evenly across block face with hands. lubricate with engine oil.....use light pressure.

finish off by using zero pressure ///despite the stone's roughness ..you'll be impressed with the finish

carefully remove grease

Then prey when you put it back together.

all the best...mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:04 pm

no don't buy that one ..just noticed it has chunks missing out of it

look for another 300mm new one ..cheap for under £15

ideally, you're looking for something like 120 grit stone

They are there ..it's finding them that is hard

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:06 pm

Colin K wrote: Got 40 miles and she began to over heat. Still has power and no water in the oil but steam coming out of the exhaust.

Those pistons have taken a battering judging by the valve indentations. Bent condrods are a posibility as a result....unlikely but possible. Are the piston to deck heights/protrusion all the same..??

Steam coming out of the exhaust and loosing coolant are symptoms of a failed EGR cooler.....have you by-passed or replaced it.?? The head gaskets on these engines rarely fail.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Colin K » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 am

knobby1 wrote:
Colin K wrote: Got 40 miles and she began to over heat. Still has power and no water in the oil but steam coming out of the exhaust.

Those pistons have taken a battering judging by the valve indentations. Bent condrods are a posibility as a result....unlikely but possible. Are the piston to deck heights/protrusion all the same..??

Steam coming out of the exhaust and loosing coolant are symptoms of a failed EGR cooler.....have you by-passed or replaced it.?? The head gaskets on these engines rarely fail.

Lord Knobrot

OMG I have taken off the EGR cooler Water in and out pipes. Put my finger over one and blow into the other and air comes through the coolingtubes.

OMG OMG OMG could this be it It would explain getting 40 miles before overheating ??? ie the water level suffered?

All the pistons line up at the same level and she has done 30000 miles since cam tensioner event :)

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Colin K » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 am

Colin K wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

OMG I have taken off the EGR cooler Water in and out pipes. Put my finger over one and blow into the other and air comes through the coolingtubes.

OMG OMG OMG could this be it It would explain getting 40 miles before overheating ??? ie the water level suffered?

All the pistons line up at the same level and she has done 30000 miles since cam tensioner event :)

Col.

Hello, Just had a new one delivered and no air through tubes I think I owe someone a dring Rebuild time

Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Colin K » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:09 pm

Colin K wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I presume if i can blow down the water pipe and air comes out the stack then when the cooling water gets to pressure/temperature then it is force into the egr circuit and out the exhaust like my boiling kettle impersination?
Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits