*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mystery roller bearings. clutch area

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mystery roller bearings. clutch area

Postby aarronman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:01 pm

Vehicle type 2.2 rwd mk7 transit.

Hi all. I was following the manual and all the great advice on these forums about doing a clutch change. Once the transmission was out and the clutch removed i was having a proper look at the flywheel.

However when i was inspecting the hole where the transmission shaft sits inside the flywheel area i found multiple metal cylinders (Looks like a bearing part to me).

My question is, Is this from a bearing inside of the flywheel area, or is this maybe from the clutch release bearing that's then travelled down (Unlikely but i'm hopeful)
My second question is this.

If there is a bearing inside of the flywheel that's collapsed, how can i replace it, And can i do this in the current setup with the subframe dropped etc. How do i remove the flywheel? and does anyone know the correct name of the bearing that has failed. The part in the photo looks like a roller bearing component.

Is this an engine out job? Any help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aarronman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mystery roller bearings. clutch area

Postby aarronman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:13 pm

Hi all again. I have been doing my research and it looks like this may be of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69514

It looks like it may be called a spigot roller bearing. If anyone can give me any tips on removal i'd really appreciate it.

Final wee question. For my van i was under the impression it was a dmf. I'ved attached a photo of my flywheel. Is this a DMF? and does it look in ok condition or would you experts replace while you were in there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aarronman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:48 pm

Think the general way is to first find a very close-fitting shaft that goes into the bearing,

Then fill the bearing with grease ..slide the shaft slowly into the grease ..and then yank on it hard .suction should pull it out ..if you have the resources make that shaft into a slide hammer.

if that won't work ..you are going to be screwing a tap into it

All the best....mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:23 pm

Yep, spigot bearing roller... Check the gearbox input shaft spigot for damage....if the bearing is toast, there's a chance the shaft is not well also.

Do as metalworker0 said...or, fill with grease and "knock" a close fitting shaft into the bearing assembly, sometimes it will "hydraulic" the bearing out....but since your rollers have fallen out I suspect this will be unlikely.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tranmx2 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:20 pm

The spigot / pilot bearing has rollers can see your's collapsed.
The bearing housing has a cap on the back = cannot force it out with grease. Can knock out the back of it and pull it out.
There's a rather big hole at the back of it.
Vids on youtube doing it.
Levered mine out part way with a small cold chisel,tapped it a bit to align it and it went back in = had to grind it out.
Part numb spigot bearing txt.png

Hole behind cap.png
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby aarronman » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:08 pm

Thank you knobby, metalworker and tranmx2. You guys are brilliant, I'll try all your suggestions Tuesday when I'm next off. Thanks again.
aarronman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jim Archer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:50 pm

Punched a hole through mine, then a big frame fixing, big slide hammer, and swearing saw it out.

Put a socket/stub inside when fitting the new one to save disturbing the rollers too much

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby aarronman » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:52 pm

Hello again all. So this was actually a very easy bearing to remove once I bought a relatively inexpensive blind bearing pulling kit from fleabay, highly recommend it. It has a slide hammer and normal puller attachment. About £50. I have also attached pics of the bearing once removed. It has had a hard life and the casing looks like it'd started to crack too

Thanks again for all your help.
aarronman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits