*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 2.4tddi clocks

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 2.4tddi clocks

Postby HAD1K » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:33 am

This has probably been covered but I can’t find the answer to my issue.
I have a mk6 2.4 tddi with the rev counter and digital mileage however, as soon as the ignition is turned on the mileage reads as dash’s and the only working gauge is the fuel gauge.
I have tried a different set of known working clocks and the same issue happens.
Now this van is like triggers brush so it’s literally head scratching and working out if there is something simple to it.
It must of had an engine at some point as the harness is not the abs one as there is no part on the current harness to link it to the pump.
I have changed the harness before to fit the pump however, the van then decided it didn’t want to start so back to the previous harness it was!
Currently with only the fuel gauge working I sometimes get the airbag light flash and the trusty yellow spanner illuminate.
It would be handy to know what temp and what speed I’m travelling if anyone can possibly help please
HAD1K

Re: Mk6 2.4tddi clocks

Postby Nordic Blue » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:18 am

The MK6 clocks are renowned for poor solder joints on the multi pin plug socket on the back.

I re-soldered mine and the force of the clamp on the plug broke more joints that I hadn't done so well when I put it back in, so had to pull it out and do it again. You may have 2x bad sets of clocks.

One way that might help you diagnose this is if you bang hard on the top of the binnacle when they go funny - if the joints are just a little bad things may come back on momentarily.

There are lots of posts on here about how to do it yourself if you are experienced with a soldering iron or there were companies that will do it for you for a fee if you send them off. If you do it yourself you do have to take the whole cluster apart and take the pointers off the dials and everything but might be worth a try if you have a spare set?

(Remember to turn the dials all the way to the left and mark where each pointer is before you take them off so you can line them back up)
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby HAD1K » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:18 pm

I have already tried a known working set of clocks and I get the same fault
HAD1K

Postby Nordic Blue » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:26 am

HAD1K wrote:I have already tried a known working set of clocks and I get the same fault

Have you tried the known working clocks in another van since you put them in yours? The point I was trying to make was the clip that pulls the multiplug home on to the circuit board does so with quite some force and can easily break some of the more delicate solder joints. If yours has some slightly longer pins in certain areas of the plug it could be breaking both sets of clocks in the same way each time you plug it in.

Just a thought.
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby HAD1K » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:53 am

Yeah I have tried them in another van and worked fine.
I have also ran diagnostics function checks on the clocks and all needles sweep but fail to work normally on the vehicle.
I need a proper wiring diagram. Surely someone has had this fault before :?:
HAD1K

Postby scas » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:52 pm

take the clocks apart-really simple, look at the 30 ish solders an the front face of the circuit board where the loom connector plugs in under a microscope or a good camera blown up pic and youll see some of the centers of the solders are broke away from the outside of the solder.its the loom connector that breaks them cos it pulls the pins on the other end of the solders too tight,if you wiggle the connector the clocks usually work for a short time. the connector on the other van may be pulling the pins a bit differently. easy fix soldering iron as hot as it can be and just hold the tip of it on the buggered solders for about 30 seconds each, melts the solder a bit, usually no need for new solder or flux
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby HAD1K » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:43 am

It’s not the clocks that seems to be the root cause.
I’ve taken working clocks from another van and had the same issue in mine.
It’s an odd one as I can do a sweep test through the OBD port and the gauges will operate but will not operate normally when not in test mode. Which suggests the solder connections are fine so I can rule that out.
The clocks also display the mileage for a few seconds the. Revert to displaying dash marks. The needles for the revs and the speedo do also slightly lift then nothing.
A wiring diagram would be helpful as it has me baffled
HAD1K

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits