*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel pump

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Fuel pump

Postby scrapet » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:41 pm

i’ve got a 53reg transit tipper mk6 2.4 90 and it gets used everyday im confident with tools easy enough to swap parts but there’s a few issues with my truck that sometimes i need advice with as i’m not a machinc but very confident. mot failed on bad diesel leak so i swapped fuel pump but that pump wasn’t getting diesel to injectors i got the pump coded in pulled air out with snap on hand vacuum pump several times and nothing not a drop so i put the new pump solenoid on my old pump and fitted that one back on. back to got it coded in and now i’m only getting drops of diesel to injectors no spray what so ever any advice is welcome and thankyou in advance
scrapet

Re: Fuel pump

Postby scas » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:36 pm

crack one of the fuel lines to injectors, take fuel filter off and fill it, turn it over for about 20 or 30 seconds. if no fuel comes out of cracked pipe, fill up the fuel filter again and keep going. once fuel comes out, crack a different line. it can take 5 or 6 filter fills to get it going. and have a decent battery charger
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby scrapet » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:58 pm

thanks for reply
i got a fast charge onit with my friend and we got diesel out the injectors lines but it wouldn’t fire up just spinning really fast it goes to start off deodorant but failed to run my friend thinks it could be air getting into the diesel lines eather from filter to pump or pump to injectors i understand it’s a 20 yh old truck and it could possibly have a knackered line but from what i can see on the ground there’s no diesel leaking
scrapet

Postby knobby1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:58 pm

Have you tried easy start..?? Deodorant might not work well enough. If it doesn't start on easy start, there may be a cam timing issue.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby scrapet » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:24 am

no just a little try with it today.
could it be ive got the wrong fuel filter on it ?

about 6 months ago i got a different housing and the bloke said it’s off mk7 and it had filter onit and when i got the new filter i fitted about 10 mile ago is the filter off my reg. it ran completely normal after i fitted filter but as the system has been bleed loads and was getting a point with little to no air bubbles
scrapet

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:45 am

scrapet wrote:no just a little try with it today.
could it be ive got the wrong fuel filter on it ?

about 6 months ago i got a different housing and the bloke said it’s off mk7 and it had filter onit and when i got the new filter i fitted about 10 mile ago is the filter off my reg. it ran completely normal after i fitted filter but as the system has been bleed loads and was getting a point with little to no air bubbles

Filter head shouldn't matter too much as long as the correct Ford or high quality filter is fitted to it..If the wrong filter is fitted, there's a chance air can get in via the centre seal.

TDDi's a notorious for hard starting if there is air in the system. Injector leak-off O-rings and/or lines are a known air ingress point. Fuel line connectors where they connect to the filter head can leak air if the O-rings are poorly. Fuel pick-up line in the tank split or blocked..?? Air ingress into the low pressure system is common....it actually runs a slight vacuum as it needs to draw the fuel up from the tank, fuel rarely leaks out but air can get in.

Air in the high pressure lines from pump to injectors is unlikely under normal circumstances, fuel would be pi$$ing out if they were leaking....there's upwards of 310bar or ~4500psi in there.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:56 am

Stuff an electric tyre pump in the fuel filler and seal it in with a plastic carrier bag. Turn on and get cranking once you can see the pressure gauge on the pump going up.

There's the real men's way cranking open the injectors pipes and turning the engine by hand (all injectors not just one) but in this case I think you'll be better off pressurising the tank to force fuel up the line.

It will go eventually but the Mk6 tddi is an absolute pain once it's been emptied - took me 4 days to get mine going.
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits