*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6 fuel

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk6 fuel

Postby mtnz » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:03 pm

Mk6 duratorq and if we bleed the injectors theres mostly air and very small amounts of fuel at the injectors whether we hand pump at the fuel filter or try to turn engine over.

However cannot see where air might be getting in, any ideas?

No leaking fuel around the filter, does that mean filter is airtight?

Any tips on how detect leak?

If there's air and hardly any fuel when hand pumping at the filter, does the mean the fuel pump is not the problem, or could it still be the fuel pump that's faulty?

IMG_20221123_165414.jpg

Photo of filter/ housing attached.[
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtnz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk6 fuel

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:04 pm

mtnz wrote:Mk6 duratorq and if we bleed the injectors theres mostly air and very small amounts of fuel at the injectors whether we hand pump at the fuel filter or try to turn engine over.

However cannot see where air might be getting in, any ideas?

No leaking fuel around the filter, does that mean filter is airtight?

Any tips on how detect leak?

If there's air and hardly any fuel when hand pumping at the filter, does the mean the fuel pump is not the problem, or could it still be the fuel pump that's faulty?

IMG_20221123_165414.jpg

Photo of filter/ housing attached.[

Lots of places for air to get in, pretty much anywhere along the low pressure side of the fuel system. Filter head is known to crack, poor quality fuel filters often leak air in around the main seal. Possible split in the pick-up line from the tank. Injector leack-off lines and their O-rings....the four fuel lines on the filter head have O-rings which can leak air.

Rare for them to leak fuel out as they're normally under a slight vacuum when the engine is running. I suspect it may be "upstream" of the hand pump though as you're still getting air when using it....supply line from tank to filter head maybe..?? Check all four O-rings and inspect the filter head housing just in case.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rotory » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:53 pm

6133BC1E-4115-4F30-8BBF-2FFEE1AD26E9.jpeg

Best to check the leak-off pipe, mine was loosing prime through a pinhole. It was chafing in the earthing stud, indicated in the photy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Mk6 TDDi, 2.4l, 125bhp, WF0AXXTTFA4B01902
rotory
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mtnz » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:31 am

Hi, eventually the answer to this was found to be that the (brand new) fuel filter was not forming a complete seal with the housing due to very small indentations in the filter top that I believe were formed after the filter was forced into the housing by Ford mechanics.

Another local mechanic suggested he change the new filter for another one, and he showed me the old filter damage and put in the new one and since then its been fine.
mtnz
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits