*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Key fob only locks/unlocks when close to the front of bus

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Key fob only locks/unlocks when close to the front of bus

Postby Uncle_Fester » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:06 pm

Hello all, this is a bit of an odd one, but, as per title.
Bus will only lock and unlock if I'm near the front doors, say within 6 feet, won't work from behind the back doors.
This is a recent development, has been working fine for the last year's or so since I've owned it.
I have one original key and two new keys, all do the same, so I'm guessing it's not the keys.
Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Thanks

Fester

(Mk7 2.2tdci jumbo highroof twin wheel 17 seat minibus.)
Uncle_Fester
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Key fob only locks/unlocks when close to the front of bu

Postby Altransit » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:20 pm

That's an interesting question, that's been normal for my van ever since I've had it, I've never been able to unlock the rear doors when standing at the rear doors, and it won't unlock from across a road, unless it's narrow. That's with using any of the 3 keys that I've had in that time.

If it isn't the keys, presumably its something to do with the receiver above the headlining :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Uncle_Fester » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:51 pm

Hmm, could it be the reciever getting "weak"?
All I've done recently is replace the overhead interior light bulbs with led bulbs and strangly the following day fuse 78 (central locking) blew... I replaced it and all seems OK apart from the reduced range on the key fob... which started as an issue before the fuse blew.
Today I replaced both batteries as one was only giving about 11.5 volts (don't know which but starting always seemed a little slow, so likely the stater battery) but the low fob range remains..

Uncle_Fester
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:20 pm

Uncle_Fester wrote:Hmm, could it be the reciever getting "weak"?
All I've done recently is replace the overhead interior light bulbs with led bulbs and strangly the following day fuse 78 (central locking) blew... I replaced it and all seems OK apart from the reduced range on the key fob... which started as an issue before the fuse blew.
Today I replaced both batteries as one was only giving about 11.5 volts (don't know which but starting always seemed a little slow, so likely the stater battery) but the low fob range remains..

I wonder if it's worth taking out the cab lights and disconnecting the wires? See if that makes any difference? I might try that with mine next week as this weekend is busy busy?

Unlocking and starting are always a bit sluggish when the batteries get low, that's why I charge mine up every couple of weeks (The van doesn't go anywhere these days) But the low voltage doesn't seem to make the remote range any less, or better when charged.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Uncle_Fester » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:27 pm

Altransit wrote:
Uncle_Fester wrote:Hmm, could it be the reciever getting "weak"?

I wonder if it's worth taking out the cab lights and disconnecting the wires? See if that makes any difference? I might try that with mine next week as this weekend is busy busy?

Unlocking and starting are always a bit sluggish when the batteries get low, that's why I charge mine up every couple of weeks (The van doesn't go anywhere these days) But the low voltage doesn't seem to make the remote range any less, or better when charged.
It might be worth a try, put it back to "factory" see if that helps.
I'll let you know what happens

Uncle_Fester
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits