*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2012 100 350 2.2 with a smoking issue...

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2012 100 350 2.2 with a smoking issue...

Postby Tetsu0san » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:36 pm

Hi all

I'm hoping someone might be able to help. I bought a 2012 2.2 100 350 LWB transit a few months ago. It was advertised to me as a spares or repair because it was using a lot of oil, power was down, and they'd been told the engine was knackered and needed a replacement at a cost of £3k. I looked at it, and it was certainly breathing heavily out of the oil filler cap, but it seemed to drive OK, plenty of power, so I said yes, deal was done, and I bought it home.

After some googling I saw two videos of people with a similar issue and they were resovled with injector seals and a new cam cover, so I took the injectors out and they were leaking badly. New seals, a new cam cover, and a full service later and It's still driving fine. No obvious loss of oil (they said they had to keep topping it up every week) after about 700 miles, and it seems to drive OK. There is still some pressure in coming out of the oil cap, but I don't know if that's normal for these engines. My Dad has an earlier (09) 2.2 which is a different design on the cam cover and his seems to have a bit of pressure there too so I don't know. Anyway, I got it MOT'd, started using it and all seemed good. Then I noticed the smoke...

It's hard to put my finger on what it does and when it does it, but you can be driving along, at any speed, for any distance, and all is fine. They suddenly there is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust, more when you push the throttle down, and then for no reason it'll stop. You can be driving all day, no issues, then suddenly it'll start smoking. There is no specific thing I can do to make it smoke, or indeed to make it stop. It just does it. It'll do it when sat in traffic too.

The smoke doesn't really smell of burnt oil or unburnt diesel, it just smells like an old diesel engine smoke that you'd get out of an old tractor etc.

Could it just be a build up of muck due to the leaking injectors? The old cam cover was pretty bad with sludge which could have gone anywhere I suppose. I was thinking perhaps EGR but I would have thought that would only affect it at lower revs rather than any revs. Turbo could also be a problem, but I would have thought it would be more smelling of oil if that were the case. Same with rings too I'd think. DPF perhaps? I've not really looked underneath but I know there is a green lambda sensor that's leaking exhaust gasses a little, but not enough to smoke like it does. But could that be a factor?

Any advice would be greatly received!

Many thanks
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'97 Land Rover Defender 90
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2012 100 350 2.2 with a smoking issue...

Postby TheCake » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:29 pm

what colour smoke?
if its black will likely be mucky egr or boost pipe seal gone, could also be a dpf issue.
if its white its generally fuel related
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:14 pm

It's not trying to do a DPF regen is it..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tetsu0san » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:26 am

Thanks for the replies!

TheCake wrote:what colour smoke?
if its black will likely be mucky egr or boost pipe seal gone, could also be a dpf issue.
if its white its generally fuel related

It's not black, and it's not white either. Like it's somewhere in the middle. Dark grey perhaps?

knobby1 wrote:It's not trying to do a DPF regen is it..??

Lord Knobrot

Ha, Lord Knobrot. My friend had that once, poor lad.

Anyway, silly question here but how would I know if it is trying to do that? There are no lights on the dash or anything like that. When it does a regen, what is it meant to do and how are you meant to know it's doing what it's doing?
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tranmx2 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:40 am

High pressure in rocker box/crankcase - oil vapour to inlet pipe before turbo.
Look for oil in the inlet pipe from the rocker box vent to the - heat exchanger - inlet pipe to manifold - Manifold is likely gunged up. Exhaust and oil = gunge.
Engine heats up takes and hour or so and the inlet system gets hot enough to evaporate some of the oil/gunge which gets burnt = grey/black smoke. Clean out the inlet system.
White/grey/black smoke.
The 2.4 transit I had gave off black smoke when going up hill around a corner in second gear with the rpm up - the system was well heated up, after a few mins and on the flat (less effort) the black smoke stopped.

DPF blocked. Diesel is used to burn off the soot. White /grey smoke - can be mixed with gunge can be black.
Forscan helps to know what it is about - can show soot % content.
White smoke - coolant loss - check coolant bottle for bubbles - pipes soft/hard - if hard = head gasket blown.
If coolant bottle has black areas = oil in coolant - from oil cooler.
White grey smoke - coolant loss, damp in exhaust, very high ambient humidity, unburnt fuel, coolant mixed with gunge.

What is seen (smoke) can be a combination of the above - water, fuel, vaporised gunge.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Tetsu0san » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:27 pm

tranmx2 wrote:High pressure in rocker box/crankcase - oil vapour to inlet pipe before turbo.
Look for oil in the inlet pipe from the rocker box vent to the - heat exchanger - inlet pipe to manifold - Manifold is likely gunged up. Exhaust and oil = gunge.
Engine heats up takes and hour or so and the inlet system gets hot enough to evaporate some of the oil/gunge which gets burnt = grey/black smoke. Clean out the inlet system.
White/grey/black smoke.
The 2.4 transit I had gave off black smoke when going up hill around a corner in second gear with the rpm up - the system was well heated up, after a few mins and on the flat (less effort) the black smoke stopped.

DPF blocked. Diesel is used to burn off the soot. White /grey smoke - can be mixed with gunge can be black.
Forscan helps to know what it is about - can show soot % content.
White smoke - coolant loss - check coolant bottle for bubbles - pipes soft/hard - if hard = head gasket blown.
If coolant bottle has black areas = oil in coolant - from oil cooler.
White grey smoke - coolant loss, damp in exhaust, very high ambient humidity, unburnt fuel, coolant mixed with gunge.

What is seen (smoke) can be a combination of the above - water, fuel, vaporised gunge.

Thanks for the replies. When you talk about the heat exchanger, what do you mean?

I do have ForScan so I'll hook that up and see what it says about the DPF.

As for coolant, it's absolutely fine. Doesn't lose any, no oil in the coolant either. So that's a plus!
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tranmx2 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:18 pm

heat exchanger
air inlet dwg.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:25 pm

Tetsu0san wrote:When you talk about the heat exchanger, what do you mean?

I believe he's talking about the intercooler, it's a heat exchanger of sorts....not commonly known as that though.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tetsu0san » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:22 pm

tranmx2 wrote:heat exchanger
air inlet dwg.png

knobby1 wrote:
I believe he's talking about the intercooler, it's a heat exchanger of sorts....not commonly known as that though.

Lord Knobrot

Ah, yeah. Intercooler. Never heard it called a heat exchanger before, but yes, I guess that's exactly what it is.

Again, thank you all for your input on this. Greatly appreciated!
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tetsu0san » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:02 pm

So, just a brief update.

Ran ForScan and it said that the DPF was at 49%, but I decided to run a regen anyway. As soon as the regen started smoke very similar to what I've been seeing while driving came out, and this pretty much continued the whole time.

PXL_20221209_153212030.jpg

Is this normal for a regen?

Once the regen had completed the popup said that the DPF was at 0% but the actul value in another area of ForScan said it was 51%, so either it did nothing or the adaptive values are wrong. Anyway I reset all the adaptive values and now it's at zero. Not sure if that's a good thing to do or not, but it's done now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:35 pm

Truth be known....you're extremely lucky the regen works at all. Regen issues on here are only second to door lock issues.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tetsu0san » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:16 pm

The more I read up on this the more I think it is a DPF related issue, or more specifically the vapouriser. I'm sure that when I bought it I was told that the DPF had been changed and I wonder if when they changed it they left the old vapouriser in it, or perhaps the unit was replaced and is now faulty. I'm going to check the fuses for the glow plug used in the vapouriser, and also remove the cable to the fuel pump and see what happens.

Onwards and upwards...
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tetsu0san » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:03 pm

Been a while, but a a small update.

I replaced the vapouriser which initially seemed to fix the problem. Had quite a few days without smoke. Then smoke came back albeit not as bad.

There are a few other error codes about glow plugs and I watched another video on YouTube from a mobile mechanic who seemed to think that the regen won't work properly unless all the other issues have been resolved, especially glow plugs. So that's the next step I think.

Cheers
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tranmx2 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:24 pm

I had a similar experience with my van engine 86000 miles on the clock - thinking it can't be this or that due to the low mileage.
Related info' like hen's teeth.
The smoke in your image is the same as mine was at times ( when it seemed better ).
Went through the smoke no smoke black and grey and white and DPF, coolant problems etc etc.
On one occasion it smoked for 30 mins could not see the road behind.
Used a colour test on the coolant = gas in the coolant - later could see bubbles in the coolant at cold start.

Engine out and found the block and head faces were corroded, the head gasket pitted and passages blocked.
So recon' engine put in. £3500 +. Did it myself. So on top of the 3500 there are garage charges. On top of the 3500 DIY are the tools etc etc etc needed to do the job.

On the 2005 Iveco 2.3 the glow plugs in the cylinders operate at below ambient 5 C.

Transit E5 it seems there are the 4 cylinder glow plugs and another glow plug/heater which is on the fuel supply to the injector/vaporiser with the DPF system.
There can be different things on different vans of about the same year(s). I have not found info' which is specific to the van I have nor have found info' specific to what is on it.

1 It seems that your DPF is partially blocked. 2 There is a coolant leak. 3 There is oil/gunge in the air intake system. 4 The EGR is stuck open. Could be all or them - you fix one you become aware of whatever else is wrong.
2,3,4 could look like/cause a problem with the DPF.
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Tetsu0san » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:00 pm

tranmx2 wrote:I had a similar experience with my van engine 86000 miles on the clock - thinking it can't be this or that due to the low mileage.
Related info' like hen's teeth.
The smoke in your image is the same as mine was at times ( when it seemed better ).
Went through the smoke no smoke black and grey and white and DPF, coolant problems etc etc.
On one occasion it smoked for 30 mins could not see the road behind.
Used a colour test on the coolant = gas in the coolant - later could see bubbles in the coolant at cold start.

Engine out and found the block and head faces were corroded, the head gasket pitted and passages blocked.
So recon' engine put in. £3500 +. Did it myself. So on top of the 3500 there are garage charges. On top of the 3500 DIY are the tools etc etc etc needed to do the job.

On the 2005 Iveco 2.3 the glow plugs in the cylinders operate at below ambient 5 C.

Transit E5 it seems there are the 4 cylinder glow plugs and another glow plug/heater which is on the fuel supply to the injector/vaporiser with the DPF system.
There can be different things on different vans of about the same year(s). I have not found info' which is specific to the van I have nor have found info' specific to what is on it.

1 It seems that your DPF is partially blocked. 2 There is a coolant leak. 3 There is oil/gunge in the air intake system. 4 The EGR is stuck open. Could be all or them - you fix one you become aware of whatever else is wrong.
2,3,4 could look like/cause a problem with the DPF.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm as sure as I can be that it's not a coolant issue. It's not losing coolant, sniff test is fine, no overheating either.

According to the reader the DPF is not even remotely blocked. I've not takes much notice of the percentage value, just the in and out pressure. Seems generally OK.

The 5th glow plug is indeed part of the vapouriser and that appears to be working. I took the original vapouriser apart and applied voltage to the glow plug and that also seems to be working. I say the new one is working as I've not noticed any difference between this and the new one, either good or bad.

It does have an error on a reader saying about two of the 'normal' glow plugs (could be 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, I can't remember) are open circuit and because of the video form a mobile mechanic I watched saying that this will effect the regen I will address these as soon as I can. It's worth having a go anyway.

The smoke is not constant. Sometimes it won't smoke at all for days, then it will smoke. Currently though I'm on a few days of no smoke at all.
'84 Land Rover 110
'82 Toyota Hilux
'01 Range Rover
'67 Land Rover Series 2a
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'12 Ford Transit 350
Tetsu0san
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits