*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hand held OBD2 reader recommendations?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Hand held OBD2 reader recommendations?

Postby straydog » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:55 am

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a hand held OBD2 reader.
I have Forescan on my computer, which works fine
I do long trips with my Mk7 140, 08 campervan, and have a long term issue I have been unable to resolve.
This often puts the van into limp mode, normaly in the most inopinate moments, PITA!!
So looking for a hand held I can quickly check and deleat faults without connecting up to my computer.

Does anyone have a H/H OBD2 they can recommend, I looked on Amazon and am getting mixed results
Not looking for a super expencive item, just something that'll do the job.

Cheers CVD 8)
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Hand held OBD2 reader recommendations?

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:37 pm

straydog wrote:Hi guys,
I do long trips with my Mk7 140, 08 campervan, and have a long term issue I have been unable to resolve.
This often puts the van into limp mode, normaly in the most inopinate moments, PITA!!
So looking for a hand held I can quickly check and deleat faults without connecting up to my computer.

Does anyone have a H/H OBD2 they can recommend, I looked on Amazon and am getting mixed results

Cheers CVD 8)

I use Forscan on a laptop when at home and when doing just local diagnostic stuff like live "driving data" etc... but when ooot and abooot I have an Autel AL319 scanner, works "reasonably well" in the Mk7's for code scanning/erasing/data etc, but for those with Mk6's....it will "not" connect as the Mk6 is not OBD-II compliant.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17527253150 ... BMpOLkwsBh

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby straydog » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:31 pm

Hi, thanks for that .
Looks like just the job.
28€ in my neck of the woods, perfect :D

Thanks again CVD 8)
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Meater » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:04 am

knobby1 wrote:

Cheers CVD 8)

I use Forscan on a laptop when at home and when doing just local diagnostic stuff like live "driving data" etc... but when ooot and abooot I have an Autel AL319 scanner, works "reasonably well" in the Mk7's for code scanning/erasing/data etc, but for those with Mk6's....it will "not" connect as the Mk6 is not OBD-II compliant.

Lord Knobrot

Hi Knobby,
Could I ask out of interest if the mk6 obd port does anything at all and why it's there if not?
Cheers just insanely curious about this.
Terry
Ford Transit 2001
Diesel Platform/Chassis2.4 DI
RWD -- FM_ _,FN_ _2402cc 55KW 75HP F4FA
Meater

Postby knobby1 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:28 pm

Meater wrote:Hi Knobby,
Could I ask out of interest if the mk6 obd port does anything at all and why it's there if not?
Cheers just insanely curious about this.
Terry

As mentioned the Mk6 is not OBD-II compliant...but it is "OBD" compliant, which means it can still work when the correct reader is used. Forscan and a select few cables/dongles ....and Ford's own IDS work fine, there are a couple of others, F-super is one of them.
Most of the newer readers which can be bought these days are only OBD-II compliant and 99% of them won't work with the old Mk6 protocols.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sfnett » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:36 am

knobby1 wrote:

Cheers CVD 8)

Lord Knobrot

Hi Knobby, will the Autel let you do things like program keys and adjust settings or is it just a "reader"
Black 09 85 T260S swb fwd
White 08 115 T350L rwd
sfnett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:23 pm

sfnett wrote:Hi Knobby, will the Autel let you do things like program keys and adjust settings or is it just a "reader"

No, it's essentially just a glorified "reader", it will do some live data and you can erase codes etc but it wasn't designed as a proper diagnostic/programming unit....just a generic basic reader.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sfnett » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:49 pm

knobby1 wrote:
sfnett wrote:Hi Knobby, will the Autel let you do things like program keys and adjust settings or is it just a "reader"

No, it's essentially just a glorified "reader", it will do some live data and you can erase codes etc but it wasn't designed as a proper diagnostic/programming unit....just a generic basic reader.

Lord Knobrot

Ok thanks will have to invest in a windoze lappy
White 08 115 T350L rwd
sfnett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bortaf » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:02 pm

sfnett wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Cheers CVD 8)

Lord Knobrot

Hi Knobby, will the Autel let you do things like program keys and adjust settings or is it just a "reader"

It depends on what reader you get, there's many differant ones, the higher end readers do program keys but your looking at thousands of pounds rather than tens of pounds :shock: theer are just key coding machines but the autel one is about £600 :shock:
i have an old autel 509 maxiscan that reads EOBD and OBDii and more usefully shows live data :) they are still available at amazingly the same price i paid 8 years ago (about £40) , it still misses some codes though, then i have to get my mate with a snap on to read them but as the saying goes you get what you pay for ??
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:48 am

bortaf wrote:It depends on what reader you get, there's many differant ones, the higher end readers do program keys but your looking at thousands of pounds rather than tens of pounds :shock: theer are just key coding machines but the autel one is about £600 :shock:
i have an old autel 509 maxiscan that reads EOBD and OBDii and more usefully shows live data :) they are still available at amazingly the same price i paid 8 years ago (about £40) , it still misses some codes though, then i have to get my mate with a snap on to read them but as the saying goes you get what you pay for ??

Forscan can do all of this..... and a lot more....and it's "free" to download.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sfnett » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:49 am

knobby1 wrote:
bortaf wrote:It depends on what reader you get, there's many differant ones, the higher end readers do program keys but your looking at thousands of pounds rather than tens of pounds :shock: theer are just key coding machines but the autel one is about £600 :shock:

Lord Knobrot

Thanks both,l only have a Chromebook at the moment so will have to look at getting a Windows laptop instead
White 08 115 T350L rwd
sfnett
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bortaf » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:49 pm

knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Yup i have it as well ta :D
just havn't figured out how to use it fully yet :oops:
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic