*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Brake lines Mk 7

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Brake lines Mk 7

Postby Neurozan1914 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:49 pm

Hi Guys
Just going to make up some replacement brake lines.
I note they are 3/16" brake pipe, wich incidently is 4.75mm.
I use the sykes pickavent flairing tool with the turret that has both SAE & DIN flares.
What flare should I be using as in DIN or SAE?
Thanks in advance.
Neurozan1914

Re: Brake lines Mk 7

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:35 pm

I would make a couple out of short 3 inch lengths and see what is closest, with copper you don't have to worry so much ..as when you tighten it onto the fitting it deforms more and takes its final form.

Don't forget to use some lube on the dies and if you have trouble when tightening and they aren't sealing ..you can pull them apart, heat them up with a blow torch to anneal them, so they go soft again and deform a bit more.
if you are doing them in steel ......it's then you have to worry about din or sae.
I don't know what they are .

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:13 pm

metalworker0 wrote:I would make a couple out of short 3 inch lengths and see what is closest, with copper you don't have to worry so much ..as when you tighten it onto the fitting it deforms more and takes its final form.

Don't forget to use some lube on the dies and if you have trouble when tightening and they aren't sealing ..you can pull them apart, heat them up with a blow torch to anneal them, so they go soft again and deform a bit more.
if you are doing them in steel ......it's then you have to worry about din or sae.
I don't know what they are .

all the best..mark

Being metric fittings one would imagine they'd be DIN..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:50 pm

Very good explanation . great pictures well written.
should help you decide what they are.

http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

I did look to see what ford is .......but no one seams to have a definite answer. lots of unsures , dont knows , no ideas, could be's, think it's.

But take your pipes off ..study the pictures....then make your mind up what to go with . that's if non have been replaced before and someone has used the wrong ones then.
What it does say ..more or less, is that single flares are not in use on modern cars, so you'll be using op1 and op2 on the flares. to make double flares.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits