*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford MK7 56 plate random cut outs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Ford MK7 56 plate random cut outs

Postby VsUK » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:34 am

Needing some advice. I have a mk7 56 plate transit van thats randomly cutting out whilst driving. I thought it was radiator failure, so I've changed that, water pump & Thermostat with housing & if anything, it's got worse.

It lead me to believe it was overheating because it stopped doing it when it was freezing, but started doing it again now it's warming up.

The engine starts again usually right away with a quick flick of the key. But sometimes it takes a few goes.

So advice needed, thanks
VsUK

Re: Ford MK7 56 plate random cut outs

Postby Altransit » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 am

1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby VsUK » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 pm

Altransit wrote::idea: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=221276

Just to update, I spotted the reply this morning, so I had all the terminals off the battery, which is a new battery & cleaned away all signed of rust, corrosion & dirt. But it still keeps cutting out & today was a nightmare, cutting out every 5 or so minutes. But when I'm driving on M1 at speed, it never cuts out once, just when I'm on reg roads with speeds up & down.

I also noticed my fuel reading keeps going up & down. 1 minute I have 300+ miles, the next I'm down to 200 ish miles & then back up again. I've changed the radiator & everything to do with cooling which was a problem I had hoped would resolve this one. I do have an overflow leak, which isn't a problem unless I completely fill the tank, not sure if that's connected. So could this be a fuel pump issue? Just don't want to waste my money ruling it out as they ain't cheap.

Just to mention, no lights on dash or anything.
VsUK

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:48 pm

VsUK wrote:
Altransit wrote::idea: :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=221276

Just to update, I spotted the reply this morning, so I had all the terminals off the battery, which is a new battery & cleaned away all signed of rust, corrosion & dirt. But it still keeps cutting out & today was a nightmare, cutting out every 5 or so minutes. But when I'm driving on M1 at speed, it never cuts out once, just when I'm on reg roads with speeds up & down.

I also noticed my fuel reading keeps going up & down. 1 minute I have 300+ miles, the next I'm down to 200 ish miles & then back up again. I've changed the radiator & everything to do with cooling which was a problem I had hoped would resolve this one. I do have an overflow leak, which isn't a problem unless I completely fill the tank, not sure if that's connected. So could this be a fuel pump issue? Just don't want to waste my money ruling it out as they ain't cheap.

Just to mention, no lights on dash or anything.

If the battery terminals etc are all good....cutting out at junctions and radomly cutting out when just driving around normally will more than likely be the SCV. Does it hunt at idle occasionally.?? When was the fuel filter last replaced..?? When were the learns last done..??

Fuel pumps on Mk7 Euro-4's very rarely fail. Is the temperature reading always constant..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits