*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

HELP PLEASE. mk7 2008 2.2 tdci power loss & blue smoke

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

HELP PLEASE. mk7 2008 2.2 tdci power loss & blue smoke

Postby wayne18870 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:57 pm

could somebody please HELP ME,
i am at my wits end with my van, .... the problem is when its warm, it started to loose power, has if its gone in to limp mode, i pump the accelarator a few times, or turn it off & back on again, then i have full throttle, for a while, this normally happens when warm, & i come to a stop at lights or junction,

now today i had the van running on tick over, for about 30 mins while cleaning the cab out, when i started to move the van, it would not rev above 2000, i pumped the pedal a few times, & then full throttle come back, but i noticed that it was kicking out a load of blue smoke,
my friend who is a car mechanic, put his diagnostic on it, and the codes he got was, as follows...

PO68A;00-28 ECM(electronic control module)/pcm power relay de-energized- too early
UOO73;00-6C control module communication bus A OFF

he cleared the codes the other day, but i havent used it much until today, when the problem occurred again & i noticed the blue smoke,
i have recently cleaned the maf sensor, and the intake manifold with carb cleaner, but it has not made any difference,

has anyone else had this problem, and managed to find the fault, has the engine management light has never come on, when this problem happens, so i am totally stuck.

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HELP, HAS I CANT AFFORD TO TAKE IT TO A GARAGE, DUE TO LACK OFF MONEY, I AM MECHANICAL MINDED, BUT NOT WITH DIESEL VEHICLES, I NEED THE VAN FOR MY TERMINALLY ILL SONE TO TAKE HIM OUT IN

MANY THANKS FELLOW VAN OWNERS.
TONY
wayne18870
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: HELP PLEASE. mk7 2008 2.2 tdci power loss & blue smoke

Postby tranmx2 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:59 pm

If the codes are present at the time of looking at the diagnostics then the indicated problem needs to be fixed prior to deleting the code.
Deleting the code does not solve the problem.

Blue smoke is usually associated with burning oil. Likely source is the engine oil - turbo, rings, worn cylinders, worn inlet valve guides. Worn rings/cylinders does put pressure into the crankcase that pressure is relieved in part via the rocker box vent which goes to the air intake before the turbo and then to the cylinders. If the turbo is leaking oil it could go to the intake side thence to the cylinders.
Oil residue/gunge in the intake system could be the source - to clean out the system needs to be dismantled and scraped.

Too much fuel can be white smoke or black smoke it may have a hint of blue - if the ECT sensor is faulty - giving a lower than is reading then too much fuel could be injected.
EGR valve is stuck/sticking open may show greyish/white smoke.

You could get a laptop and (Forscan £15 for 3 yrs) with an ELM 327 FTDI USB adaptor from Tunnel rats £20. With Forscan you can do live data and the DTCs.

PO68A;00-28 ECM(electronic control module)/pcm power relay de-energized- too early - could be damaged/broken wire/connector/starter switch.

Could help if you put the mileage done and if it is FWD or RWD.

Are you sure it is blue smoke - not whitish/greyish/blackish?
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wayne18870 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:06 am

cheers tranmx2 i have downloaded forscan, & ordered the usb adaptor, the milage is showing 181k fwd 85/t280. but it has had another engine fitted prior to me buying it, but when it was changed i dont have a clue, or what the milage was on the engine prior to it being fitted,
i will try and find out more info regarding code po68a and hopefully get to the bottom of the issue, i will leave the van running later, & video the problem & the smoke that comes out when the throttle returns to normal power again, so you can see it,..... i get blue smoke in the morning when i start it up from cold, wich i believe is the rings/ seals, wich oil gets through, with it being a old van, but that soon clears, and runs with no smoke at all for the rest of the day, until the issue re-occurs, with loss of power,

if the egr valve is sticking, could this be the cause of the loss of power, & reset itself once the ignition is turned off & restarted again, has that is the only way i can get to drive it again with no issue, otherwise i have to take my foot of the accelorator, for a few seconds, and the gradually pump the pedal until the vehicle starts to rev above 2000 rpms, but no lights come up on the dash at all.
wayne18870
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wayne18870 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:22 pm

this is a video i have done of the smoke, when the issue occures, and i have also noticed,( if you listen video ) you ca hear a rattle, im unsure if its the engine or diesel pump rattle, perhaps somebody can tell me more, with the video,

https://youtube.com/shorts/vitTBH0hVBU?feature=share

thanks tony
wayne18870
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby tranmx2 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:22 pm

Looks more like water vapour with a hint of blue. The smoke dissipates reasonably quickly - oily smoke tends to linger. Can be water/ damp in the exhaust. Is the van left in a cold damp place - lot of dew?
There are colour tests for the coolant. Look for bubbles in the coolant header tank/bottle.

It seems to spit now and then - could be unburnt diesel.

There's a lot that could be looked at. Split the search into three - electrical/electronic - coolant - fuel. Do the easiest first. Which is likely to be the coolant. Trouble shooting is a process of suspecting, proving good/bad and elimination.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wayne18870 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:28 pm

my mate on street spoke to a guy he knows, who has worked on transits all his life, & i called to see him tonight, and he thinks its a injector, after seeing my video, he is going to put it on his live scan tomoz, and see what it says, but hes 90% sure its a injector fault,, so will let you all know tomoz night, what the actual fault is, for anybody else who has the same symptoms has me on my van
wayne18870
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby tomsass » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:35 am

Check the plugs and clean with spray contact cleaner ? Look at the ones around the fuel pump on the gearbox side ? I think there are around three white and one grey ? Just check all electric plugs and clean with spray cleaner .I had a wet sludge inside one and it stoped the turbo spooling up and egr valve open . sounded like a bag of bolts . And bellowed smoke when trying to rev ? It was as if sum body had there hands around its neck Squeezing . All so I had a coolant leak from the egr cooler . But that was fixed with steel seal .that give off lots smoke but had a sweet smell to it . My van is the mk7 fwd 2012 100hp hope that might help ?
fast toys and slow police
tomsass
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:51 pm

wayne18870 wrote: hes 90% sure its a injector fault,, so will let you all know tomoz night, what the actual fault is, for anybody else who has the same symptoms has me on my van

Did you find the actual fault :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits