*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 poor starter.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk7 poor starter.

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 pm

I have a new ign switch on the way already...

I really am having to do a parts cannon on this.

A new crank sensor hasn't helped.

With the new glowies its so close to starting.... its still crank for ages, will run half a second and then cut out. I'm going to play silly arses tomorrow and put and electric pump inline with the fuel feed to the filter tomorrow - but I doubt it will help at all.

Getting right pissed off with it
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:05 am

MinorMatt wrote:I have a new ign switch on the way already...

With the new glowies its so close to starting.... its still crank for ages, will run half a second and then cut out. I'm going to play silly arses tomorrow and put and electric pump inline with the fuel feed to the filter tomorrow - but I doubt it will help at all.

What fuel rail pressure are you getting during cranking..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:46 am

knobby1 wrote:
MinorMatt wrote:I have a new ign switch on the way already...

What fuel rail pressure are you getting during cranking..??

Lord Knobrot

I can't remember the numbers - but its in the normal range. Has been the whole time

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:17 am

I do feel for you, it’s not helping not knowing what the previous owner messed with, it might be something really simple that you just can’t see
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tranmx2 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:31 pm

MK7 '56 plate 2.4 100PS RWD. I think 56 is 2007.
On ebay HP pump for 2007 Transit has Denso on the label.
https://www.slideshare.net/hd78/denso-hp3-servis-manual
There is info re' Denso fuel systems with nice drawings. Can scroll down without having to download.
A similar pump to the one on ebay has SCV which re' other posts causes problems.

Contaminated fuel has been suggested in one post. Could rig up marked clear bottle/tube to inlet of HP pp - check level in bottle drops - if engine runs okay then problem likely to be before HP pump.
Intemittent fault is difficult to find. 2007 could be a bad earth. Could be a cracked solder joint in a relay that supplies power to the eng run electrics. Any poor electric connection/wire.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MinorMatt » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:34 am

So

Igniton switch had absolutely no affect - so the new one has gone back in the box and back on the shelf.

Now, I put an electric pump in the supply line. It still didn't want to start - but it appeared to be pulling in air at the pump (no air in pipe to the pump, lots on the outlet) and it still didn't want to start (probably due to the air). However the interfave between the filter and houaing was dripping - so its reasonable to assume that the new fuel filter housing is faulty.

New (2nd hand) one om the way

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 pm

Today I took a filter and housing off a van that works and put it on this one... and....

Yes....

You guessed it...

No bloody difference.

The other van started quite happily with the other filter in place too.

I'm vaguely wondering if the starter motor is a bit cooked now, I think its spinning fasr enough - but maybe its pulling toi much power and screwing something up?

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:43 pm

BTW anyone with a rotton 2.4 want to buy a van with a reasonable shell and an engine that won't start? Im getting pissed off with it now!

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:08 pm

Hmmm

Rail pressure on this gets to about 35,000 (whatever units) it coughs and the pressure drops right off.

The one next to it starts at about 50,000.

I've swapped filters and housings between them and the problem stays with the van.

With clear pipes you can see its not pulling up air, or pushing it out of the return.

Any thoughts?

Mine is tgat the pump is struggling to build pressure at slow speed so may be knackered. Especially if matey before was running it dry trying to get it going?

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:56 pm

A lad at the workshop loaned me his rail pressure gauge jobby - which has some blanks

Despite passing the leak off and learns it appears injector 1 was a bit dodgy. Blanking it on the rail gave good pressure.

I have put a PF Jones injector in it and I know have really good rail pressure... but its taking a little but to build it up and its still coughing and spluttering and not going.

With a bit of squirt it fired up okayish and its now sat running. I need to code the new injector and do learns etc. Hopefully running it for a bit will purge any air and I will be able to programme the injector in and do the learns and it should be ok???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:44 pm

MinorMatt wrote:A lad at the workshop loaned me his rail pressure gauge jobby - which has some blanks

Despite passing the leak off and learns it appears injector 1 was a bit dodgy. Blanking it on the rail gave good pressure.

I have put a PF Jones injector in it and I know have really good rail pressure... but its taking a little but to build it up and its still coughing and spluttering and not going.

With a bit of squirt it fired up okayish and its now sat running. I need to code the new injector and do learns etc. Hopefully running it for a bit will purge any air and I will be able to programme the injector in and do the learns and it should be ok???

Sounds like you're finally getting it sorted mate..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:39 am

I didn't have my laptop with me - so I was using forscan lite on my mobile.... so couldn't programme the new injector in.

So it failed the learns.

I scrounged the kit from the guy in the unit next door and programmed it in... and yup it failed again!

I forget to get the numbers, but the cylinder balances are now all over the place (they were +-2 before).

injector 4 is showing +10 to +15.

So I have said sod it and bought 2 more injectors. I may regret it - but they are 2nd hand recons with the codes - apparently only done a couple of 100 miles. The inlet manifold is also off at the moment which may account for some of it.

Will feed back when they are in and coded, and I have had a chance to try and start again from cold. I left it 10 minutes when hot and it fired straight up - which is an improvement.

What I forget to say is that before I swapped the injector I also swapped the rail. The van currently has a different SCV and PRV (both used) from when the learns were last completed - should I put the originals back (known to be ok) or hope for the best with the "new" ones?

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:54 am

As you already have the known working scv & prv I’d put them in, you don’t have anything to lose, I believe non genuine ford/denso ones are a bit flaky.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:26 pm

b*stard thing!!!!

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

93 L GL Minibus

MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:43 pm

MinorMatt wrote:b*stard thing!!!!

That's an understatement -- i would be sick to the stomach by now, if i had your trouble .. beginning of November you started this thread ...i feel for you Matt

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits