*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Key Fob and driver's door lock not working on Mk7

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Key Fob and driver's door lock not working on Mk7

Postby rjsharpy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:56 pm

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help. I have a 63 plate Mk7 H2 L2 transit with a 2.2 6 speed RWD coming up to a 180k miles. I've had it about a year and used this forum to help with an EGR/hunting/lack of power issue.

So looked on some other threads with regards to key fobs and lock issues. Currently I am locked out of my van and can't get in at all. 1) Non of the buttons work on my fob. Did the tooth brush charger trick and have a £4 replacement blue top coming from ebay in a couple of days. No joy with the tooth brush charger (12 hours or more) when I use the the buttons so decided to hack saw it opening. I've got 3.2v at the battery and the associated terminals in the fob so that actually might be alright now/was always ok maybe.

The key is working manually to get the hood up and I put the van on charge through through the jump post and I'm getting 12.7v there but I think this is the back battery for the starting. it has been lazy starting recently but has always gone. I did recall seeing the radio reset so maybe the front battery is knackered. I can't load test the batteries as I can't get in the cab.

If the key opens the bonnet but not the drivers door (only key location) I suspect the barrel/central locking mechanism is tired/worn on the drivers door. I have used this in the past fine. When I try to use the key now I get nothing (don't feel any resistance or hear any noise) when I turn once to the right. I get a pathetic noise like central locking trying to do something if I do one or two turns anticlockwise as if locking. The noise of the motors comes from the rear and side door but I can't hear anything from the front driver's door and not sure about the passengers door. Can't find my spare - I use two and have a nasty feeling one is in the back with my tools!

I think I'm screwed bar breaking in. Anyone got any suggestions? I think if I could get into the drivers doors to at least load check my batteries and sort them out and then get it running I might be ok but I think i'll get new barrels and locks anyway. Are the two batteries conjoined or independent of each other? - is there a way to ensure I charge up the front battery?

Many thanks Rjsharpy
rjsharpy

Re: Key Fob and driver's door lock not working on Mk7

Postby rjsharpy » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:57 pm

Hi all,

so got an update to help other people if they are stuck the same. So called out a local auto lock smith - very nice block who new all about them (£70 for five minutes but I guess I'm paying for the know how - nice work if you can get it). Anyway, He quickly tested my key fob and that was working as it should and I explained about the central locking not working and thus thinking the second battery was knackered. He stated that the manual method should always work and I said I'd tried lots of ways - bit more forceful to the right, jiggling and pulling the key out fractionally. Well he went straight to it and turned the key to the right with what I would say was high torque - I thought the key or lock would give way and away she opened! He says if the vans get left with the double lock on and the battery goes the amount of turning force is substantial. I'm in now and will load test the batteries tomorrow but I suspect the second/front one has gone as the radio is flashing for a code.
rjsharpy

!

Postby rjsharpy » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:18 pm

Hi all - should have posted this ages ago.

Essentially bad batteries - certainly the secondary battery which does all the cabin stuff - this was so low/knackered that the central locking wouldn't work. I tried charging through the jumping posts but no joy. Got a lock smith out because I'd tried doing everything manually with the key. Turns out I needed my brave pants on and be a lot more aggressive with the key in the lock- this did unlock the van but boy did he go to town on the key! £60 for the privilege. Anyway once in the van replaced both main batteries under the seat and everything grand again. Did do the induction charging next to my tooth brush charger - not sure if that helped or not.
rjsharpy

Postby Altransit » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:49 pm

Charging the rear battery from the jump point is no use when the front one is flat, so this can be of help:-

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=217142
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:02 am

Get plenty loose juice into the lock and just keep going back and forward with key a few times more loose juice in and same again until lock works perfectly without forcing it...... then you'll not need key dude back out

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits