*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hill start assist won't release PLUS !!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Hill start assist won't release PLUS !!

Postby WILDNIGEL » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:46 pm

Howdy ! My 59 reg ex RAC rwd 2.4 short wheelbase (non custom) van has had so'oo many problems with the braking system and following a number of repair attempts at a number of workshops I do have brakes that are at least usable (MOT worthy at least) so ANYWAY i.m.o. these van's should have been recalled !! However my real problem now is that the annoying hill start assist kicks in almost anytime but not only that but it causes my clutch pedal to drop to the floor and I'm stranded !!! (This can happen on the level but DOES sometime work as it should) and it ONLY seems to reset following many actions i.e. switching off/opening doors/applying handbrake a few times plus time etc. Could someone please tell me how I can disable this function myself by removal of a relay or a fuse etc. I know it may be possible to disable it via the ECU but I've spent so much on it already and I only want to keep the van for another few months until I finally send it to it's better place -i.e. the scrappy !!! Many thanks 2 U ALL :)
WILDNIGEL

Re: Hill start assist won't release PLUS !!

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:46 am

WILDNIGEL wrote:Howdy ! My 59 reg ex RAC rwd 2.4 short wheelbase (non custom) van has had so'oo many problems with the braking system and following a number of repair attempts at a number of workshops I do have brakes that are at least usable (MOT worthy at least) so ANYWAY i.m.o. these van's should have been recalled !! However my real problem now is that the annoying hill start assist kicks in almost anytime but not only that but it causes my clutch pedal to drop to the floor and I'm stranded !!! (This can happen on the level but DOES sometime work as it should) and it ONLY seems to reset following many actions i.e. switching off/opening doors/applying handbrake a few times plus time etc. Could someone please tell me how I can disable this function myself by removal of a relay or a fuse etc. I know it may be possible to disable it via the ECU but I've spent so much on it already and I only want to keep the van for another few months until I finally send it to it's better place -i.e. the scrappy !!! Many thanks 2 U ALL :)

Firstly, your van is 15 years old, there's bound to be a few things wrong with it.

Hill assist "will not" cause your clutch pedal to drop to the floor....you have other issues causing this. You should be able to turn hill assist off by holding all three pedals down and turning the ignition on until the hill assist light starts to flash. All this info should be in your owners manual.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WILDNIGEL » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:55 pm

Hi there Lord Knobrot (ha ha) Many thanks for your suggestion and I will try that ! However it is absolutely a fact that my clutch pedal stays down ( without any clutch function making gear selection impossible ! ) and stays there when this happens (the green sloping van light appears EVERY time this occurs ) and ONLY when the hill assist kicks in - without any doubt . As I've said it's an ex RAC van and when it was disposed of they had ripped out their mass of tech by cutting wires all over the place which may have something to do with this problem . Various other electrical functions have been compromised etc etc. Cheers !!
WILDNIGEL

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:47 pm

WILDNIGEL wrote:Hi there Lord Knobrot (ha ha) Many thanks for your suggestion and I will try that ! However it is absolutely a fact that my clutch pedal stays down ( without any clutch function making gear selection impossible ! ) and stays there when this happens (the green sloping van light appears EVERY time this occurs ) and ONLY when the hill assist kicks in - without any doubt . As I've said it's an ex RAC van and when it was disposed of they had ripped out their mass of tech by cutting wires all over the place which may have something to do with this problem . Various other electrical functions have been compromised etc etc. Cheers !!

Hill assist is activated by one of the clutch switches, not the clutch master cylinder itself, the master cyl has no electrical connetion to anything...I suspect one of your clutch switches isn't happy....or....when the pedal is stuck down, the switch isn't being activated as expected by the PCM and the hill assist is having a hissyfit, the van might be moving but the switches aren't kicking in because the pedal is stuck down.

For the clutch pedal to be staying down...either your, clutch, master cylinder or slave cylinder is failing....or all three.

https://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l ... EwNTYrMTMx

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WILDNIGEL » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:56 pm

Howdy 'LK' , the van did respond to your suggested three pedal procedure so MANY THANKS for your help there !! The actual problem with the cutch pedal dropping to the floor remains a mystery , I've never encountered such a thing ever in over 40 years of driving - usually when they go wrong it it remains that way until fixed so being intermittent seems just wrong . If it's switches or even hydraulic valves then maybe a good mechanic should be able to find that . ATB !
WILDNIGEL

Postby knobby1 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:19 pm

WILDNIGEL wrote:Howdy 'LK' , the van did respond to your suggested three pedal procedure so MANY THANKS for your help there !! The actual problem with the cutch pedal dropping to the floor remains a mystery , I've never encountered such a thing ever in over 40 years of driving - usually when they go wrong it it remains that way until fixed so being intermittent seems just wrong . If it's switches or even hydraulic valves then maybe a good mechanic should be able to find that . ATB !

The switches won't be causing the pedal to stay down, (fairly common on the Transits), it will be a mechanical/hydraulic issue. The switches do nothing until activated by the pedal when it's close to all the way up, they live on top of the pedal frame.

Is it 5 or 6 speed..? If 6 speed...the gearbox will have to come out to get at the slave cyl if it's the cause of your pedal issue. Often it's the master and/or slave cyl causing the problem.

If indeed the gearbox has to come out, it may be an opportune time to replace the clutch and flywheel...if they haven't been replaced for some time.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WILDNIGEL » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:57 pm

Greetings Lord Knobrot , it has five forward + reverse which is a bit of a relief cos a clutch job is'nt cheap is it . I'll need to book it in for further investigation but most of the time on a run it can behave itself perfectly until such a time as the hill asst kicks in somewhere while I'm maneuvering on a slope . Odd !!
Best wishes ,
WILDNIGEL
WILDNIGEL

Postby Johnno » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:42 am

I'm no help to your problem but I googled how to disable the hill start assist on my then brand new Mk7 the second day of ownership.

I HATED it. Good luck sorting your issue.
Johnno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits