*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

No reverse when the gearbox it s hot.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

No reverse when the gearbox it s hot.

Postby Askeladd » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:19 pm

Hello, so i m in a bit of a impasse here, i have a Ford Transit 2011 all fine and dandy but a few weeks ago it started to develop a issue regarding the gearbox. When the gearbox it s hot like driving around about 10-15 km i can t get it into reverse gear for all that s precious in this world, but here is the catch when it s cold it works just fine all other gears are working fine the engine runs fine somebody said it s the oil but i want to ask for some opinions before i put new oil in it cuz i have another gearbox but it s a 5 speeds i could switch it on my 2.4 rwd and just be done with it, tho it s seems like a lot of work if it s just the oil. So any help?
Askeladd

Re: No reverse when the gearbox it s hot.

Postby jay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:22 pm

Check the gearbox tower first as it might be seizing up. then check the cables run ok. other option is the actual gearstick end is worn out
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:10 pm

jay wrote:Check the gearbox tower first as it might be seizing up. then check the cables run ok. other option is the actual gearstick end is worn out

RWD doesn't have a "tower" or turret like the FWD's.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:17 pm

Askeladd wrote:Hello, so i m in a bit of a impasse here, i have a Ford Transit 2011 all fine and dandy but a few weeks ago it started to develop a issue regarding the gearbox. When the gearbox it s hot like driving around about 10-15 km i can t get it into reverse gear for all that s precious in this world, but here is the catch when it s cold it works just fine all other gears are working fine the engine runs fine somebody said it s the oil but i want to ask for some opinions before i put new oil in it cuz i have another gearbox but it s a 5 speeds i could switch it on my 2.4 rwd and just be done with it, tho it s seems like a lot of work if it s just the oil. So any help?

You may have a clutch issue...when was it last bled or replaced..?? When was the gearbox oil last replaced.??

Assuming you have a 6 speed..?? You don't actually say. Swapping the 5 speed into it can be done but it's a lot of work, clutch and flywheel is different, gearchange cables on the box and in the dash is different, propshaft is different..etc..

Lor Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Askeladd » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

jay wrote:Check the gearbox tower first as it might be seizing up. then check the cables run ok. other option is the actual gearstick end is worn out

So i changed the cables the issue is still there but idk if i did mention this or not when i try to put it in reverse it just spit s it out of gear with a loud scratch like sound it s a 2.4 RWD with 6 speeds sorry if it was too little info but i was desperate and in a hurry
Askeladd

Postby Askeladd » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

knobby1 wrote:
Askeladd wrote:Hello, so i m in a bit of a impasse here, i have a Ford Transit 2011 all fine and dandy but a few weeks ago it started to develop a issue regarding the gearbox. When the gearbox it s hot like driving around about 10-15 km i can t get it into reverse gear for all that s precious in this world, but here is the catch when it s cold it works just fine all other gears are working fine the engine runs fine somebody said it s the oil but i want to ask for some opinions before i put new oil in it cuz i have another gearbox but it s a 5 speeds i could switch it on my 2.4 rwd and just be done with it, tho it s seems like a lot of work if it s just the oil. So any help?

You may have a clutch issue...when was it last bled or replaced..?? When was the gearbox oil last replaced.??

Assuming you have a 6 speed..?? You don't actually say. Swapping the 5 speed into it can be done but it's a lot of work, clutch and flywheel is different, gearchange cables on the box and in the dash is different, propshaft is different..etc..

Lor Knobrot

All service on the bus was made last year, like it did this some times in the past from now on then i mean spit it out of reverse but it was not that frequent mb 1 or 2 in 15-20k km but now it goes into speed but it just spits it out with a scratch like sound when it s hot, sorry if i failed to mention this eng is my second language, thanks a lot for the replays tho
Askeladd

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits