*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 FWD shimmy in 2nd gear

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 FWD shimmy in 2nd gear

Postby Johnno » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:54 am

I've googled!

My Mk7 FWD has in recent times had new glow plugs, a remap, new engine mounts, drive shafts and a remap. Among other things.

Leaving the traffic lights 1st gear is fine, into 2nd and it does this funny little shimmy sort of wobble. If you accelerate briskly it doesn't do it. I had the drive shafts changed as I had that bizarre 5th gear shenanigans. It was primarily the right drive shaft as expected but I had both replaced. I'm sure it didn't do the second gear thing with the old drive shafts.

The engine used to jump around like crazy and the mechanic and I presumed that was possibly the cause of the 2nd gear issue and new engine mounts were fitted. Engine still flopped around and then, I fitted a new starter and that solved that. It just snaps to life now, very satisfying.

I wonder if it's the pressure plate? It's difficult to drive smoothly, like shifting into third requires care to get right or it can be harsh letting the clutch out.

I don't want to load up the parts cannon and just replace thing until the issue is solved.

Any clues? The wheels are torqued to spec.
Johnno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits