*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 TDCi 140 EGR Problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.4 TDCi 140 EGR Problem

Postby iamtomo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:53 pm

After having a few P0234 P1103 P0299 and sometimes a rough idle I just got around to replacing my EGR valve with a non genuine unit from JAPPARTS (I think its the problem). What a fiddly job that is!

Started the van and it was idling much smoother after so I took it for a test drive. All was fine for about 5 miles, the van felt quicker than before. I was cruising around 50mph in 6th then went to accelerate with no power.

It felt like it had lost all boost so I limped it home keeping the revs high. I maybe had a little bit of boost in 3rd gear around 3krpm but low revs there was nothing.

Checked for codes and had a P1409. At this point the van was warm and I could just about drive it. Later once it cooled off I cleared the codes and started it again. Now it runs for maybe 15 seconds and kicks out a LOAD of smoke before stalling. It feels like the EGR is stuck open but it cant read that its stuck open.

I am going to swap back to the old Ford EGR tomorrow but wondered if anyone had ever had a brand new EGR just fail like this?
iamtomo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.4 TDCi 140 EGR Problem

Postby knobby1 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:25 pm

iamtomo wrote:After having a few P0234 P1103 P0299 and sometimes a rough idle I just got around to replacing my EGR valve with a non genuine unit from JAPPARTS (I think its the problem). What a fiddly job that is!

Started the van and it was idling much smoother after so I took it for a test drive. All was fine for about 5 miles, the van felt quicker than before. I was cruising around 50mph in 6th then went to accelerate with no power.

It felt like it had lost all boost so I limped it home keeping the revs high. I maybe had a little bit of boost in 3rd gear around 3krpm but low revs there was nothing.

Checked for codes and had a P1409. At this point the van was warm and I could just about drive it. Later once it cooled off I cleared the codes and started it again. Now it runs for maybe 15 seconds and kicks out a LOAD of smoke before stalling. It feels like the EGR is stuck open but it cant read that its stuck open.

I am going to swap back to the old Ford EGR tomorrow but wondered if anyone had ever had a brand new EGR just fail like this?

Check to make sure the VNT turbo actuator is moving properly, you may have sticking turbo vanes or the actuator itself may not be working properly..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby iamtomo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:39 pm

I took the clip off and the vanes are free.

I also had my wife rev it and the arm moved a little bit. This was when we stopped with no boost before we limped home.
iamtomo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby iamtomo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:55 am

I just took the new EGR off this morning and it's stuck open.

There was some moisture in the plug that I couldn't see when it was in situ. I've sprayed a load of contact cleaner on it and in the plug. Plugged it back in and turned the van over (didn't start it) to see if it would close and it's stuck open. My guess is the little pcb has fried so it can't communicate with the PCM. I'll update this later once I've fitted the old EGR back on.... Waiting on a spare pair of hands as I'm not fighting it on my own!
iamtomo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby iamtomo » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:30 pm

Sorry to keep posting I can't see how to edit.

I fully cleaned the old original ford EGR with brake cleaner and fitted it back in. I also got a load of contact cleaner in the plug incase it was still damp.

Van started up right away no smoke no noises. I cleared all the DTC and nothing new came up.

Did a 20km test drive and it's running like a dream. Checked the codes and there's nothing new.

So I guess the new JAPPARTS EGR just fried itself either because its a poor copy or because moisture on the pins shorted something.

The reason I swapped it was because I kept getting underboost, maf and sometimes overboost dtcs so I'll keep an eye on that but hopefully a good clean will keep this ford egr going
iamtomo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits