*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

CRANKS OVER,TRYS TO FIRE ,WILL NOT RUN ?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

CRANKS OVER,TRYS TO FIRE ,WILL NOT RUN ?

Postby Leyland2020 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:31 pm

2010 2.4 rwd, high top,lwb 170,000 miles .ex garec hire mess van , used as a rally barge . Driving home from a classic rally a top end tapping noise appeared with a loss of power and white smoke from the exhaust . at times the noise would disappeared at low and high revs ,dependant on the road conditions (ie strain on engine) . So i covinced myself it was injector washers ?. Have now changed them no3 injector washer was squashed and v dirty and had marks on injector body as if had been moving in the clamp . Now the bugger wont start . she tries to fire ,somtimes the starter kicks back as if she,s on her way other times starter sta
s in and she trying but will not go ,getting white smoke out of exhaust (un burnt fuel?)
List of thing i have done -
removed and filled fuel filter (was empty) no difference
put hand primer on the nearest pipe /left hand side pipe to pump on fuel filter housing ,hand primed untill fuel was coming out of fuel filter housing (then blocked off)
Cracked all 4 injectors individually ,all have fuel and pulsing with fuel as engine is cranked over
Going to do a leak test next , But any ideas out there befor having to remove injectors and a compression test ?
Many thanks in advance
Leyland2020

Re: CRANKS OVER,TRYS TO FIRE ,WILL NOT RUN ?

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:34 pm

Leyland2020 wrote:2010 2.4 rwd, high top,lwb 170,000 miles .ex garec hire mess van , used as a rally barge . Driving home from a classic rally a top end tapping noise appeared with a loss of power and white smoke from the exhaust . at times the noise would disappeared at low and high revs ,dependant on the road conditions (ie strain on engine) . So i covinced myself it was injector washers ?. Have now changed them no3 injector washer was squashed and v dirty and had marks on injector body as if had been moving in the clamp . Now the bugger wont start . she tries to fire ,somtimes the starter kicks back as if she,s on her way other times starter sta
s in and she trying but will not go ,getting white smoke out of exhaust (un burnt fuel?)
List of thing i have done -
removed and filled fuel filter (was empty) no difference
put hand primer on the nearest pipe /left hand side pipe to pump on fuel filter housing ,hand primed untill fuel was coming out of fuel filter housing (then blocked off)
Cracked all 4 injectors individually ,all have fuel and pulsing with fuel as engine is cranked over
Going to do a leak test next , But any ideas out there befor having to remove injectors and a compression test ?
Many thanks in advance

What fault codes are you getting..?? Front battery ok..?? Do you have cam/crank sync during cranking..?? What fuel rail pressure are you getting during cranking..??

Cracking injectors on a TDCi is pointless as the system thinks it has a leak and will shut down the SCV and injectors. Injectors don't usually suddenly fail. Empty fuel filter indicates possible air ingress.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Leyland2020 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:25 pm

thahks for reply , whats the tech needed to get the fault codes , im old school and up to now have always figured stuff out. most of the cars i work on are pre ecu . ie mantas ,205s and minis . The transit had both batteries replaced pre winter and both give good voltage readings and alternator working fine. i dont know if this means any thing but ,i have tried a squirt of easy start ,but the same again she tries ti fire but wont carry on .ummmm
Leyland2020

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:54 pm

Leyland2020 wrote:thahks for reply , whats the tech needed to get the fault codes , im old school and up to now have always figured stuff out. most of the cars i work on are pre ecu . ie mantas ,205s and minis . The transit had both batteries replaced pre winter and both give good voltage readings and alternator working fine. i dont know if this means any thing but ,i have tried a squirt of easy start ,but the same again she tries ti fire but wont carry on .ummmm

Forscan on a windows laptop and an OBD-II link cable with sort out your fault code reading issues.

https://forscan.org/download.html

Unfortunately "old school" doesn't work well on these animals, (I'm old school too), they run a can-bus electrical system with many valves and sensors which rely on each other to survive. It doesn't have an ECU as such, it's called a PCM, (Powertrain Control Module), BCM, (Body Control Module) and all the other modules, ABS, RCM etc... which are all linked and talk between one another, just one having an issue can cause dramas for the others. If the filter was empty, you have air ingress, this allows the fuel to siphon back to tank and she'll struggle to start. The fuel may have siphoned back to tank whilst you had the injectors out. If she doesn't fire on easy start, you may have cam timing issues, but unlikely as it was running before you worked on it.

You can't just change injectors on these, they must be coded into the PCM and then have the learns done. Were the injector seats reamed and cleaned prior to fitting the new injector..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Leyland2020 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:25 pm

;;hi ,sorry been away working and getting together, a lap top and installing forscan . ok the following codes have come up . DTC in PCM P251A :00-2F, P1102:00-6C, P0110:15-28. DTC,s in OBD11: P1102-P. DTC,s in ABS: C1A94:14-2B. DTC,s in RCM: U0155, B1318, and finally DTC,s in IPC : P1796:00-6C, C004A:13-AF. am looking for the codes most likely to stop the van starting ,many thanks in advance ,my major issue is van parked facing down hill on the drive so cant take her to a garage as have no other vehicle capable of shifting her ,so its fix her or scrap man !
Leyland2020

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:58 pm

the one ive hi-lited in red can lead to all the other codes, low battery voltage will screw up all systems .

measure battery voltage .. should be at least 12.25 volts in each battery ...better to have 12.5 or over ...perfect would be 12.75 .. this is with engine stopped .

P251A - power take off switch

P1102 clogged air filter or a dirty MAF sensor

P0110 air intake temperature sensor

c1A94 abs sensor fault

ud155 - a loss of communication with your Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module (IPC).

B1318 battery voltage low

P1796 CAN Controller Circuit

:C004A - brake pad wear

also if you've run the battery low cranking a couple of times these codes will come up because of that.

so always crank with full very good batteries and not for long

all the best.mark
Last edited by metalworker0 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:05 pm

just paste the codes beginning with letter into google followed by "ford transit"

EG.

P1102 *ford transit"

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Leyland2020 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:58 pm

thanks for reply,s , re flat battery , the double din stereo unit fitted about 8 months ago had decided to switch its self on ? (i have a feeling its done this before,but i put it down to me leaving it on so is now disconnected,. a cheap chinese thing) . so batteries getting a good charge . 2 new batteries fitted 6 months ago.
Leyland2020

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:04 pm

think you'll have to clear the codes.

and start a fresh with two fully charged batteries.

scan it ..then tell us what the codes are

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Leyland2020 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:33 pm

hi ,back again ,have charged batteries . cleared fault codes , cleaned MAF/IAT sensor with brake cleaner due to previous codes , set up a clear plastic container with fresh diesel ,and piped this via a hand primer to the pump . cranked over cracking each injector in turn (they all had fuel to them). i then opened air filter box sprayed some easy start in the lower part ,refitted lid cranked her over ,nothing , retried she started to fire (1 seconds worth) then back to just spinning over . I then re read codes , P251A PCM ( PTO enable switch circuit open ). internet suggests that p251a will not stop vehicle starting ? . i believe its is no fuel going into engine via injectors ,as i marked the vessel containing the fuel and it did not go down ? so how can i check if fuel is passing through the injectors into the cylinders ? that has to be my next move unless anyone has any better ideas ,many thanks in advance
Leyland2020

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm

well all the other codes cleared, which proves that all caused by battery being flat

The other code left is power take off and as far as i can make out, does not effect starting,

from the net

What causes this problem with the PTO Enable Switch Circuit/Open?
1. Imperfect power takes off (PTO) enable switch
2. Issue of unbolted power take off (PTO) enable switch harness
3. Unacceptable electrical connection in the power take off (PTO) enable switch circuit

So you are down to other things that are not picked up by the modules.

that would be, all i can suggest ..knobby will be along shortly to suggest more.
Air lock in the diesel.

Low compression. from holed piston

Use more starter spray to get it going.

Starter motor buggered and not turning it over fast enough.---this forum has had this starter motor problem more than a few times over the last few weeks with owners pulling hair out and going down all different routes , before working it out in the end that it was the starter.

but before that check all positive thick leads and earths ..check exposed braided wire on starter ,..can corrode away

this means dissembling them cleaning them putting them back on securely..

and some models suffer failed hi pressure injector pump that filled the system full of swarf ..checked by cutting open diesel filter to check for swarf, knobby will confirm if it is a model effected

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:59 pm

Swarf problem is mk6 tdci
I'm assuming it's getting cam and crank sync ? And fuel rail pressure is up at desired range also?? Unless its now throwing up codes that it didn't do previous, if batteries still spinning engine fast enough clear codes and recheck , check the live data from fuel rail as your turning it over, fuel problems are usually either or both the PRV or the SCV going fooked
Pressure Relief Valve lives on the end of the fuel rail with a pipe connected to it, if you carefully remove pipe you shouldn't get fuel running out the prv/fuel rail.... if it does the prv is fooked (but should show low fuel pressure on forscan) and won't hold enough fuel pressure for to start van, and usually requires new SCV suction control vale on the fuel pump, although I have fitted them separately before and the learns all went through ok

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Leyland2020 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:11 pm

w
ill try this livedata ,this the first time ive used forscan ,so may take some time ,ha ha , its worth a go at that before ripping injectors out again and doing compression test many thanks folks
Leyland2020

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits