Hello all,
I've been working on my 2013 Ford Transit with the FWD 2.2 TDCI engine and while replacing the EGR valve, I also went and did the glow plugs as 2 of them weren't working. I got 3 out fine, but 1 of them snapped. The thread for the glow plug and the internal electrode came out, so the outer layer after the thread is still inside.
So, I grabbed one of those glow plug removal tool kits off ebay, drilled the glow plug, tapped it, and inserted the extractor but with no luck as the bolt that screwed into the now tapped glow plug, just slipped out. So, I figured a bolt extractor might do the job. Attached that to some locking pliers, and screwed it in, hoping it would force the plug out, and what do you know, now the bolt extractor is stuck inside the glow plug that is stuck inside the engine.
I do not have anything to heat the glow plug up with but I thought, why not put the other 3 brand new glow plugs in, put the engine back together, start it up and get it up to temp, then turn it off, take off the inlet manifold and attempt to extract the plug again now that the engine is nice and warm. My question is will starting the engine up cause the glow plug to loosen and fall into the engine, or is this a good idea?
Any other ideas are welcome, too!


