*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine coding lost - second time - causes?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Engine coding lost - second time - causes?

Postby winterheating » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 pm

or is RIM on the smiley transit fuel pumps :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby martynx » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:36 am

Nice list man :wink: RIM stands for "remote immobiliser module" , as far as i know - i used to think it was the PATS element of the injection pump... now i am not so sure :!:

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby martynx » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:40 am

RIMs defo on MK6 - when you initialise pump & pcm , ( using timed access on IDS ) 10minutes of the 22minute delay is spent clearing the RIM.. i initialised the pcm only today on this one & didnt get the RIM clearing bit.....

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby winterheating » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:18 am

So basically the RIM is another module inside the PCM :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 am

winterheating wrote:So basically the RIM is another module inside the PCM :?:

On a N/A Smiley, its the bit bolted to the back of the Bosch pump. I thought it was built into the pumps on TDi's and MK6's etc :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby winterheating » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:14 am

I wonder if the RIM is in FUel pump module, but the same data is matched in the PCM, otherwise fitting a Virginalised pump wouldnt work the way it does :?: :?: :?: :?

i tried a little experiment, had a key from one vehicle a pcm from another and pump from another,fitted on one vehicle a long list of fault codes came up on scanner. And PATS light flashing a code.

I got the fuel pump virginalised,and fit it to see if it would code the key to pcm at same time.
I went through the procedure, but didnt work .
allthough it must have done something as fault code only came up saying "data miss match"" and "key not reconised".
Also PATS led started to flash different code.

Then got the key coded, cranks now, and no PATS light flaSHING, BUT fault code comes up saying "FIP module fault" and "reduced fuelling "
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby martynx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Yes i think it is & I'd guess on your one the PCM & PUMP are incompatible - like they are using a slightly different version of PATS ? ...

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Thunderbox » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Seasons greetings to all.

Big bump of this thread because of a rather bizarre development in my non-starting saga:

After Martin's kind visit, I had abandoned the van until such time as i could afford to start fiddling around with replacement ECUs and Bosch pumps. Now that the snow has cleared, I went out to disconnect the batteries and remove the ECU in order to get the part number off it.

Out of habit, I tried the ignition - and the van started immediately. :shock:

Took it for a test run, and its back running like a sewing machine again. No discernible running problems at all. So far, it has re-started three times - although I'm not going to trust it by stopping anywhere away from home. The only thing I have noticed is a new symptom - an intermittent slight falter on idle, as if a cylinder isn't firing (injector?).

During the van's sojourn under the snow, the batteries remained connected - so none of the electronics can have "rebooted" in any way. Since I've never heard of any computer "un-corrupting" itself, I'm assuming that both the ECU and fuel pump computer are in fact working normally. Taking a wild guess, I wonder if one of the solenoids on the fuel pump is sticking or not resetting when the ignition is switched off, thereby generating a fault code and inhibiting the system - but somehow unsticking at random, maybe due to the cold or other factor?

Does this problem now look a bit more recognisable to anyone? Apart from pump solenoids, are there any other electro-mechanical devices in the system that might be causing this intermittent ignition error? :?:

Thanks all, and best wishes for the New Year.

Seth
Thunderbox
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby martynx » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Seth,happy new year :) - this good news of sorts but harder winter weather normally bring out issues not corrects them :!:

If either of the solenoids are stuck that wouldn't affect the immo system.Only guess i can offer on yours , with this new development in mind is that the pumps ecu is failing, there's a wire inside it to check that can be accessed by removing the top cover - you can see the wire breaking away from one component if you look closely - you don't normally get the amount of codes or immo lamp flashing & generally starting can be intermittent while it starts to fail..

Also I had a seat leon in a few times recently that would keep getting the MIL lamp on & returned many different DTC's each time... I'd clear them all would be OK for a few weeks then more codes & different problems.. once it lost its throttle body adaptation & so ran real rough one day then the ABS kinda failed.. anyway i couldnt put my finger on it but in the end i checked & cleaned up the ECU wiring plugs & earths , WD40ing them all & all codes disappeared by them selves on putting it back together & its been tip top since... there was a little moisture in the back of the main ECU connector that's all..

On yours i'd be inclined to take off the stuff above& around the pump, like inlet manifold etc, clean up / check the wiring & connector to the pump & get some WD or similar spray in the main ECU connector as well & while your there you can check that wire inside the pump ecu ....

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby wertyu2007 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Did op sort this ?

got similar issue , when van came to me after having vacuum pump fitted , it was turning over but a non start , the mechanic had all ready had a no start and cleared all codes and it ran , later it stopped running , I then checked codes got a B2139 PCM ID does not match between the PCM and PATS control , so after reading a post on here i reprogrammed the fuel pump and it started up , thought it was fixed but got call today saying its happened again 20 miles later.

I got to visit it tomorrow again would like some ideas.

all i know is what ive told you above.
wertyu2007
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 pm

wertyu2007 wrote:Did op sort this ?

got similar issue , when van came to me after having vacuum pump fitted , it was turning over but a non start , the mechanic had all ready had a no start and cleared all codes and it ran , later it stopped running , I then checked codes got a B2139 PCM ID does not match between the PCM and PATS control , so after reading a post on here i reprogrammed the fuel pump and it started up , thought it was fixed but got call today saying its happened again 20 miles later.

I got to visit it tomorrow again would like some ideas.

all i know is what ive told you above.

Thread is 11 years old....although the OP has been on the forum lately, he hasn't posted since March 2011.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wertyu2007 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:23 am

I could see that my friend but still very very relevent to my issue........
wertyu2007
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:12 pm

wertyu2007 wrote:I could see that my friend but still very very relevent to my issue........

Unless he answers, l'm afraid you'll never know if he sorted it or not.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wertyu2007 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Thats a strong possibilty.

It ended up being bad wiring to fuel pump module , a lot of advice gained from this forum so thanks FTF .
wertyu2007
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby sheffstaff » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:57 am

wertyu2007 wrote:Thats a strong possibilty.

It ended up being bad wiring to fuel pump module , a lot of advice gained from this forum so thanks FTF .

Hi wertyu2007 i have same issue as you had can you tell me how you tested or found out about the bad wire to fuel pump much appreciated.
sheffstaff

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits