*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Horn keeps beeping when Locking!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Horn keeps beeping when Locking!

Postby Crispin007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 pm

northernboy wrote:I had this problem on my 2008 Mk7 - horn beeped once on locking the doors and on unlocking could not open the side door. On checking, I found all doors locked except the sliding door and then when tried to unlock the doors all unlocked except the sliding door. I noticed the sliding door lock did not actuate at all indicating a loose contact or dirty contact or broken lock motor.
The single horn beep was irritating but was temporarily silenced for testing purposes by unplugging it at the horn - it it located just behind off side headlight :)
I cleaned the three contacts on the contact plate and on the door and 'worked' the 'door ajar switch' a few times by pressing in and out manually a few times and turning it round to try and ensure a good contact, this is located just under the contact plate. This seemed to make no difference. I then tried double locking the doors by pressing the lock button twice. Amazingly the the sliding door worked. I then ensured it locked and unlocked and re connected the horn - problem solved.
So, I think cleaning the contacts helped and by double locking seemed to have re set the electronics.

I have just bought a Transit Mark 7 and it has the dreaded "horn beep on locking" issue. Can someone please tell me where I can find the contact plates mentioned in the comment above? To clean them?

Any tips on trouble shooting this issue also greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Crispin007

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 am

Crispin007 wrote:I have just bought a Transit Mark 7 and it has the dreaded "horn beep on locking" issue. Can someone please tell me where I can find the contact plates mentioned in the comment above? To clean them?

Any tips on trouble shooting this issue also greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Contact plates are on the rear side of the sliding door. Easy to see with the door open. If it's not them, one or more of your doorlock mechanisms is not well.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Crispin007 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Crispin007 wrote:I have just bought a Transit Mark 7 and it has the dreaded "horn beep on locking" issue. Can someone please tell me where I can find the contact plates mentioned in the comment above? To clean them?

Contact plates are on the rear side of the sliding door. Easy to see with the door open. If it's not them, one or more of your doorlock mechanisms is not well.

Lord Knobrot

Many thanks, cleaned the contact plates and 3 pins, but no joy stopping the horn beep.
After locking from the fob I notice the backdoor is not locked, and now the slide door is not locking either (which is strange I'm sure it was earlier today)

So...tried locking the slide and back door from the INSIDE and horn beep HAS finally gone away when locking from fob !!

The only problem now is I'm locked out of the back of my van lol ...luckily i took the bulk head out and can jump through to unlock

So I now have to lock AND unlock slide AND backdoor from the inside.

And wondering if I could fix the locks myself, does anyone have any information explaining how to do this??

Or do slide/back door locks both need completely replacing?

If the problem cannot be fixed without prohibitive costs I'm seriously considering leaving it as it is, at least it locks with no horn, albeit only partially.

[I honestly wonder why car/van manufacturers adopted central locking technology, seems to cause far more problems than it could ever possibly solve!!
Fact is it should be an option, not mandatory. So if the tech fails, we have something to fall back on. Old is gold in the locking business.]
Crispin007

Postby Crispin007 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 am

After more detective work on my Ford Transit Mark 7 horn beep issue, I discovered the back door is not locking. And neither is the side door.
So the only way to lock the backdoor is from the inside.
And locking the backdoor manually from the inside will also lock the side door. Likewise unlocking the side door manually from inside will unlock the back door, and vice versa.
This is so frustrating because it looks like changing the rear door lock mechanism SHOULD sort the problem, in theory.
Meaning I could spend £100 on a new rear lock mechanism and STILL have the same problem e.g. maybe a faulty wiring loom, faulty relay to blame, I don't know.
Is there a way to accurately diagnose the issue?
To find an accurate solution, instead of throwing money blindly at the problem?
Any suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance!!
Crispin007

Postby gt_addict » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 pm

I had a similar issue on my 2013 mk7. Intermittent fault when locking and unlocking the cargo area. Turned out it was the rear lock mechanism. Bought a new genuine mech and been fine since. It was probably some little micro switch that had warn out. Tried to open the old one to check but its a non-servicable part. Easy job to replace it.
gt_addict
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Crispin007 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm

Crispin007 wrote:After more detective work on my Ford Transit Mark 7 horn beep issue, I discovered the back door is not locking. And neither is the side door.
So the only way to lock the backdoor is from the inside.
And locking the backdoor manually from the inside will also lock the side door. Likewise unlocking the side door manually from inside will unlock the back door, and vice versa.
This is so frustrating because it looks like changing the rear door lock mechanism SHOULD sort the problem, in theory.
Meaning I could spend £100 on a new rear lock mechanism and STILL have the same problem e.g. maybe a faulty wiring loom, faulty relay to blame, I don't know.
Is there a way to accurately diagnose the issue?
To find an accurate solution, instead of throwing money blindly at the problem?
Any suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance!!

Tried editing this comment but no luck, so...

New Positive Update: suspicious the rear door lock mechanism could be seized I sprayed a lot of silicone lube into the mechanism, and started rapidly locking and unlocking it manually with a screwdriver from the inside, to see if I could free it up, then... lo and behold, it sprung back to life.
Now locks/unlocks perfectly all around, no horn beep, no issues.
Crispin007

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits