*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Drivers footwell getting wet! Where could the leak be?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Drivers footwell getting wet! Where could the leak be?

Postby SandyHenderson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 pm

Me again :lol:

I recently lifted the flooring in my drivers footwell and cleaned it out because of a heel hole and lots of gravel (a full small house shovel full!). It wasn't too badly rusted to be fair though. I converted the rust and hammerited over it. Now though I've noticed waters getting on the floor else how. At first thought it was the drivers side sill letting it in, due that that being seperated from the inner sill, but I got that welded back on and it's solid now, yet I found water in the footwell tonight (not loads but it's still wet!). Where's common for the leaks in these? The doors good, the seal around its good (it's my passenger one that ain't even though I've tried bending the door lol). Any ideas troops?
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Drivers footwell getting wet! Where could the leak be?

Postby blue estate » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Take scuttle panel of passengers side and check the metal plate plate below it and the 2baffles either side of the pollen filter
My black metal plate had a bit missing out of it so it wasn't deflecting the water from the screen down sides of pollen filter ,but dropping in straight down on to it

Sent from some where
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby SandyHenderson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:12 pm

Would the water travel from the pollen filter on the passenger side and make it to the drivers side? I'll check this out regardless but just curious. Thanks
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby s2martin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:13 pm

Just thinking, it's not related to your post asking about the roof rack blanking bolts is it? Mine were out for a while and water was making it to the drivers side foot well (weirdly the passenger side was OK). After I fitted them it sorted the leak.
2003 Transit Connect T230 TDCI LWB
Solo camper conversion (in progress)
s2martin
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby SandyHenderson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:46 pm

s2martin wrote:Just thinking, it's not related to your post asking about the roof rack blanking bolts is it? Mine were out for a while and water was making it to the drivers side foot well (weirdly the passenger side was OK). After I fitted them it sorted the leak.

I don't think so Martin, I've got the roof rack on currently and there's great big bits of rubber between that and the van so I doubt it. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm going to do what blue suggested. I noticed a slight wet/mold looking bit around the vehicles chassis number at the windscreen which is next to where blues talking about. I'll have a look tomorrow if the weather permits :)
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SandyHenderson » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:07 pm

blue estate wrote:Take scuttle panel of passengers side and check the metal plate plate below it and the 2baffles either side of the pollen filter
My black metal plate had a bit missing out of it so it wasn't deflecting the water from the screen down sides of pollen filter ,but dropping in straight down on to it

Sent from some where

Opened up the scuttle and the plate appears to be fine. Not sure how those two baffles should sit though? There's a collection of leaves in there too but I can't get in further to clean it out. Noticed I've got a pollen filter too! (thought they didn't come with one). Someone's been in that area before too as one of the 6 screws wasn't in the scuttle but I've added an extra now anyway. Curious as to if the leaks been an on going issue for a while now. Any more info?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:41 pm

Is there a hosepipe ban in your area :?: :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby SandyHenderson » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:30 pm

That's went right over my head lol. What do you mean? I know I can test for leaks by spraying the van and or shove a vacuum in there somehow. Not got a clue about vehicles hence the question lol
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jasonpaul » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:58 pm

My door seal looked okay but when the door was shut it funnelled water into the drivers footwell

Try sitting in the drivers seat and get someone to pressure wash at a reasonable pressure the outside of the van
Jasonpaul
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby SandyHenderson » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:04 pm

Jasonpaul wrote:My door seal looked okay but when the door was shut it funnelled water into the drivers footwell

Try sitting in the drivers seat and get someone to pressure wash at a reasonable pressure the outside of the van

Will do mate! I only washed her last night before this post when I noticed some wetness on the floor after so I'll defo do that. As for the seal, I've kept an eye on the drivers door and it seems fine but the passenger side allows water in at the top of it, and if the vans sitting slanted to that side during a rain storm then it gets bad inside. Tried bending that door back and replacing the seal, the door also looks attached firmly to the van.

I'll update when I can get someone to soak the outside for me. Just curious as to common areas I can check anyway :)
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FunkyT1000 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:25 pm

Hi
i just brought a 2010 transit and i am having the same issues , had a hole in the drivers footwell that was wet , lifted it up and there tons of gravel and the whole underside of the mat was soaked.

after taking it out and drying everything i drove it today in the rain and noticed water coming from the left arch somewhere , perhaps this is the same issue ?
FunkyT1000

Postby MotorhomeMatt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:09 pm

Hi folks,

I had the same issue on my 2011 Connect, and traced the leak to a poorly sealed antenna! I believe it is a common fault, either through deterioration or the nut holding the antenna working loose.

Worth checking.....
MotorhomeMatt

Postby xillent » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:22 pm

s2martin wrote:Just thinking, it's not related to your post asking about the roof rack blanking bolts is it? Mine were out for a while and water was making it to the drivers side foot well (weirdly the passenger side was OK). After I fitted them it sorted the leak.

I think I'd a similar issue. Leaking from roof rack somewhere. Passenger side dry, drivers side wet.
xillent
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Connect