*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wheel arch clips for mk1

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Wheel arch clips for mk1

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:51 pm

I just joined what i think is an international forum (realised after id joined) and posted this message there ..i don't think it will get much attention ..so i've just joined this one

I'm about to put some sills on my 2006 Transit connect.

i always try to look at the whole job.

I've visited a few car body repair shops to get myself up to date on things.

They say :

You cant pull the wheel arch trims off without mostly total loss of the clips.

Ford garages:

Ford price for just one clip is outrageous at £ 9.60 - 353129 on parts diagram

There are 3 different types

and it looks like i will need 30 plus if a lot bust.

ebay:

Pitfalls - show all sorts, some not even looking like any of them ..... and unknown quality, maybe brittle, too small . don't know

Motor factors around here (north wales) don't do them ....

I'd much appreciate advice please on this .....

where to get these clips from in the UK at a value for money price .

Recommendations

Take into account i don't want these failing at a later date .....i want them to fit correctly not "that'll do"

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Wheel arch clips for mk1

Postby Kenton » Wed May 05, 2021 7:34 pm

Welcome mate. And, welcome to the world of the transit connect wheel arch trim clip conundrum!! :lol: On a serious note, have another look on fleabay. The ford ones and the motor factors ones are a joke in price. Go for the packs at a good price on fleabay and try them. Most (98%) work as they should do for one fitting. When you have to remove them, most of them break the retaining bit on the clip. No big deal in my opinion. I have used probably over a hundred in the past :!: I have replaced, removed and resprayed mine countless times trying to get the right colour, or just a good quality arch trim. The trims alone are hideous in price from frauds!... Grab a set of cheap ones and see how you go. As I say, most are ok! They hold the arch in properly and don't pull out easily. As there are so many of them per arch, they don't have to hold any weight or force, so bear that in mind :wink:
Last edited by Kenton on Wed May 05, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby SandyHenderson » Wed May 05, 2021 7:36 pm

You don't need to remove the big inner wheel arch covers for the sills, only the trim on the outside and you don't need to remove it fully, just remove like 1/3 of it and it will give you access. Will also save you getting more clips. But on that note, go to a scrappy and get them. I picked up some recently just incase I need them. They can be removed without breaking them too but theyre prone to breaking. Worst case if you're not bothered, you can just drill them in :twisted: :lol:
2006 T200L 1.8 Transit Connect 8)
Self Converted Micro Camper :wink:
Novice Mechanic Getting My Hands Dirty! :D
SandyHenderson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 pm

Kenton wrote:Welcome mate. And, welcome to the world of the transit connect wheel arch trim clip conundrum!! :lol: On a serious note, have another look on fleabay. The ford ones and the motor factors ones are a joke in price. Go for the packs at a good price on fleabay and try them. Most (98%) work as they should do for one fitting. When you have to remove them, most of them break the retaining bit on the clip. No big deal in my opinion. I have used probably over a hundred in the past :!: I have replaced, removed and resprayed mine countless times trying to get the right colour, or just a good quality arch trim. The trims alone are hideous in price from frauds!... Grab a set of cheap ones and see how you go. As I say, most are ok! They hold the arch in properly and don't pull out easily. As there are so many of them per arch, they don't have to hold any weight or force, so bear that in mind :wink:

Thanks for answering - Hope you are not saying im going to be buggering up the arches removing them ..as they are in excellent condition.
will be putting the sills right to the end ..and arches have to come off so don't get spatter on them and need to look if any rust repairs are needed under them.

so i have to take a chance on the ebay ones ..please just tell me who to avoid on ebay then :0

Will have a look and see if i can make a thin plastic or wooden forked tool, with like a v-in it like a claw hammer, i probably guess that these things rotate and the v will hit them at the wrong angle ..but worth a try.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 pm

SandyHenderson wrote:You don't need to remove the big inner wheel arch covers for the sills, only the trim on the outside and you don't need to remove it fully, just remove like 1/3 of it and it will give you access. Will also save you getting more clips. But on that note, go to a scrappy and get them. I picked up some recently just incase I need them. They can be removed without breaking them too but theyre prone to breaking. Worst case if you're not bothered, you can just drill them in :twisted: :lol:

yes the trim is all i intended to remove ..thanks
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:36 pm

btw ..what colour is saffron yellow
i put my registration into the ford site and it says it is saffron yellow
look on the net this colour is sort a fanta yellowly orange
the van is an x-RAC one and its RAC orange..i can see some yellow under the paint , i can also see faint outlines of the original RAC logos
did ford ever respray whole vehicle body shells because they had and RAC order?

as i cant see the RAC buying a yellow one and changing it to an orange one...the whole thing is orange ..under bonnet ..inside everywhere .
[url][https://a7cd33b4-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/staffybluebulls/contact-us/van1.jpg?/[url]

metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Kenton » Wed May 05, 2021 8:54 pm

metalworker0 wrote:
Kenton wrote:Welcome mate. And, welcome to the world of the transit connect wheel arch trim clip conundrum!! :lol: On a serious note, have another look on fleabay. The ford ones and the motor factors ones are a joke in price. Go for the packs at a good price on fleabay and try them. Most (98%) work as they should do for one fitting. When you have to remove them, most of them break the retaining bit on the clip. No big deal in my opinion. I have used probably over a hundred in the past :!: I have replaced, removed and resprayed mine countless times trying to get the right colour, or just a good quality arch trim. The trims alone are hideous in price from frauds!... Grab a set of cheap ones and see how you go. As I say, most are ok! They hold the arch in properly and don't pull out easily. As there are so many of them per arch, they don't have to hold any weight or force, so bear that in mind :wink:

Thanks for answering - Hope you are not saying im going to be buggering up the arches removing them ..as they are in excellent condition.
will be putting the sills right to the end ..and arches have to come off so don't get spatter on them and need to look if any rust repairs are needed under them.

so i have to take a chance on the ebay ones ..please just tell me who to avoid on ebay then :0

Will have a look and see if i can make a thin plastic or wooden forked tool, with like a v-in it like a claw hammer, i probably guess that these things rotate and the v will hit them at the wrong angle ..but worth a try.

No, you won't bugger the arches removing the trim, the bodywork is fairly substantial - or should be if the rust hasn't eaten them too deep - not a hugely common problem. You have to take your chances with buying some cheaper clips, as I said, they only have to perform one job at a time - unless like me you will keep removing the trim every couple of months :lol:
I can't tell you who to buy from personally, as I have used many sellers in the past. But as they are so cheap, I don't really mind as long as they are sturdy. Many times I have actually had the clips survive, so it really is a case of 'suck it and see' :shock: :lol: Just take your time removing the arch trim, and they should pop off fairly easily. As for the colour, I really couldn't say unless I saw the van mate.
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:59 pm

colour - you will have to copy and paste the url in my last post..as i cant get it to work
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Wed May 05, 2021 9:48 pm

For some obscure reason, all RAC vans are marked as Saffron Yellow on ETIS, but nevertheless left the factory in RAC Orange.

Go figure :lol:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:13 pm

aha ..i see

bonkers isnt it

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:50 pm

I bought these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284238953297

closest looking to genuine ford ones . made in europe ..he has no complaints about them

took them off today ..all white clips intact ..all yellow ones broke

all the beast..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am

Altransit wrote:For some obscure reason, all RAC vans are marked as Saffron Yellow on ETIS, but nevertheless left the factory in RAC Orange.

Go figure :lol:

mine is Saffron Yellow under the orange yet still shows faint outlines of RAC its orange inside , orange in the engine bay ..but yellow underneath

i reckon they must have resprayed a pile of vans at the factory or made a mistake

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect